PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Over the last couple of years I've been extremely fortunate, blessed even, to have been able to try some wonderful tobaccos.
Most have been relatively readily available blends; some new, some reincarnations of long past glories, some just the latest production of a blend that never went away. And, every single one of them has floated my boat - I suppose I'm easily pleased.
However, some have been rarities that I have really had no right to ever expect to sample in this life - blends long since consigned to history - spoken of in hushed, reverential tones, emanating from wide-eyed faces transported in time. Some of these have been the high end, even in their day, while others have been the working mans smoke (overlooked, even now). All of the treasures I've tried have been made available to me by some strange stroke of luck, the kindness of an acquaintance, or by the magic of the internet. All have been sublime, even those that were long past their prime - mainly because it's not just about the tobacco; it's as much about the experience, the timing, the location............the knowing that you are getting to try something very few others will, and that will, as time marches on, eventually be utterly gone.
To try the fabled Sobranie, the sublime 3 Nuns, to taste the Condor Pig Tail, the Gallahers Twist, the astonishing Warhorse - to smoke what my grandfathers smoked, or the dockers who built the titanic (think Gallahers here), or the Tommies who endured the trenches, laid down their lives, and returned to rebuild a new world. The tobaccos that sustained them in their labours, their hour of need, or simply in their rare moments of relaxation. Some smoked in luxury, some in poverty. Different tobaccos for different occasions, for different people, with different expectations, with vastly differing lives and prospects.
I've tasted blends from opposite ends of the spectrum - and it has let me touch, tentatively, history, my ancestors - men better than me, who endured more than I ever have or ever will, or am capable of - men who knew luxury I will never know, or poverty I cannot fully comprehend.
I have been gifted the opportunity to taste their tobaccos in a way that they never could - from a point of relative ease, but most importantly with decades of age, to the point that I don't know if the tobacco could even be considered to be the same as they smoked. It has changed in its tin - it hasn't slumbered, or been in some sort of suspended animation. It has changed, developed, matured; flavours lost, flavours gained - shape edges softened. Would they recognise it? Even if the tin I hold once sat next to the very tin on the tobacconist shelf that they themselves bought with their subsistence wage? They would recognise the tin, the name, the maker, but would they like what was now inside?
We'll never know, eh?
If you could, by some stroke of luck, get your hands on a long gone blend, what would it be, and why that particular blend?
Me? I would like to try JM Barrie's Arcadia. I believe it was Craven Mixture - but, it is long gone, and I have never seen any, anywhere, so I doubt it will happen. No matter - I have been very fortunate, and, most importantly, there are some simply amazing blends out there today, and more coming along all the time.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Great story, great writing. Hopefully I'll be able to recount similar experiences someday. I would, however, love to smoke what my grandfather did, just as a way of getting closer to him. Maybe my mother can remmember a Brand name. I'll have to check it out'
Thanjks again klause for the great piece!

May 31, 2012
I have quite a few dream smoke grails...
RCdbyjOl.jpg

y2sxJJWl.jpg

AmWCL5Fl.jpg

ZvaJZH3l.jpg

5OCafo2l.jpg

IcFipyjl.jpg

I'd really love to try Capstan Full just because of its famous stout reputation.
I'd love to smoke Redbreast Flake because I've read it was also stout, and had some sort of intense topping --- in fact, I wish I could have tasted all the old Ogden's blends, the genius with which they developed the casing for St. Bruno must carry over into their "house style" and I'd love to explore all the different variations of that style.
Bell's The King's Head because it was the fuller version of Three Nuns, virtually forgotten today, and I'd wager to say that none is still in existence, they quit making it a very long time ago.
Likewise with Murray's Dark Virginia Cloud --- Warrior Plug is my favorite tobacco of all time, all I've smoked is the Denmark version, I'd love to taste the original Murray's version, as well as other of their offerings, I have been lucky enough to smoke early 70's Erinmore and found it to be intense, even after all the years, the topping sprang forth like an explosion.
Many thanks for a great topic.
It was a great reading how you wrote about your experiences.
Craven Mixture can still be found, it was in production for a loooong time, maybe you'll get lucky soon!

AHk0i4q.jpg

:puffpipe:

May 31, 2012
Oh,

I forgot.
This blog post by Arno is a must-read if you've got a Craven fetish!

:!:

http://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/i-crave-for-some-craven-mixture/
quote:

Some time ago while browsing on the British ebay I saw an old still full and sealed tin of Carreras’ Craven Mixture. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered reading about it. After a quick Google search I knew it. It was the blend famous novelist and author J.M. Barrie called “Arcadia Mixture” in his famous “My Lady Nicotine” book. The ebay tin looked pretty good so I decided to bid on it. To my pleasant surprise I won it for very little money. The lady from who I bought it was somewhat worried when she had send the package: “You are not going to smoke it right? It’s OLD!” I answered “Madam, I have every intention of smoking it!” And so I did.
Sidenote Craven A story,

back when I smoked factory cigarettes, I'd always go to the Vietnamese grocery to get 555's or Craven A's --- the Vietnamese have great taste in cigarettes.
Anyway, the shorty made in Jamaica Craven A needed to be distinguished from the regular sized version, and one day I was having trouble with the clerk understanding me, this one? this one? - no, I want the shorties - oh, you mean Black Cats? --- ever since then I'd stroll in there and say "...gimme apacka Black Cats."

I thought I was pretty cool at the time LOL

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
klause, that was and excellent post and thanks for taking the time to share such a well written story with us.
I would love to try Cope's Escudo, that is the one I have pined for for years but I cannot justify the price the few times I have seen it available. Maybe one day I will actually just bite the bullet and grab some. I would also like to try thee old Capstan as well.

K

klause

So, to move this along - I received an envelop on Thursday with a Dutch post mark. inside were two little baggies.
One Baggie contained some 60 yr old Craven mixture - the ARCADIA mixture of JM Barrie fame - WAAAAHHHOOOOOOO!
Dreams do come true, folks!
The other was a sample of 90 yr old Capstan Medium flake - wow! Just wow! I'll say that again just so you get the idea........WOW!
I tried some of the Capstan in a bulldog, of equal vintage, that very evening, with a mug of tea in the greenhouse, soaking up the evening sun and heat - and, it was truly an absolutely exquisite tobacco.......i cannot even begin to tell you how beautiful a smoke that was......so many thoughts running around my head.
I'm the luckiest fellow alive this day - a dream smoke waiting for me, and another undreamt off smoke made its way into my conciousness.
Arno is a gentleman of the first order - I am deeply endebted to him. Thank you.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I envy all you old timers! :). Seriously, I came to pipesmoking later in life so I have no baseline to compare today's tobacco selections and if given similar opportunity to sample one of the long gone labels, I'd for sure enjoy it but wouldn't have the appreciation for what I was tasting as some of the more seasoned pipe smokers would. I do consider myself fortunate enough though as there are many fabulous blends available to us right now, today. The advent of tobacco cellars can ensure a stable supply of what we love now and will allow us to share with the up and comers years from now when perhaps, some of them might be no more. I've heard it said that this is now the golden age of pipe tobaccos and I tend to agree. I still enjoy reading posts like yours though, I can only imagine how much you must be enjoying those old blends.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
So, to move this along - I received an envelop on Thursday with a Dutch post mark. inside were two little baggies.
One Baggie contained some 60 yr old Craven mixture - the ARCADIA mixture of JM Barrie fame - WAAAAHHHOOOOOOO!
Dreams do come true, folks!
The other was a sample of 90 yr old Capstan Medium flake - wow! Just wow! I'll say that again just so you get the idea........WOW!
I tried some of the Capstan in a bulldog, of equal vintage, that very evening, with a mug of tea in the greenhouse, soaking up the evening sun and heat - and, it was truly an absolutely exquisite tobacco.......i cannot even begin to tell you how beautiful a smoke that was......so many thoughts running around my head.
I'm the luckiest fellow alive this day - a dream smoke waiting for me, and another undreamt off smoke made its way into my conciousness.
Arno is a gentleman of the first order - I am deeply endebted to him. Thank you.
You're welcome! I hope you also will enjoy the Craven Mixture :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I spoke with a clerk at a liquor store once who had had some very old whisky, about 20 years. He said it tasted nothing like fresh. I don't move within the circles that circulate samples of aged tobaccos, so perhaps I will never know, but the age that I run into, 5-10 years, has been uniformly quite wonderful.
My current cellar is young, but as pipe smoking is uniformly wonderful, I can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.