PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stan

Lurker
Aug 15, 2014
Good morning all
Got a new pipe a little while back, not smoked it much. But the other day the draw hole (on the inside of the bowl) seems to have enlarged upwards. What it looks like, when you look inside the shank, is that the drill bit went in twice. One a little too high and the other one low. And after about a dozen smokes the little bit of briar that was left between the top drilling and the inside of the bowl has burnt away.
So just wanted to ask if anyone else has had something like this happen?
And when I was smoking just now ended up sucking in a bit of burning ember that hit the back of my mouth (not pleasant).
Shortly after purchasing the pipe I did send it back to have the shank re-drilled so it could do the pipe cleaner test. As it was done to a European style and you could not pass the pipe cleaner all the way through. But I don’t think it would explain this fault.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Your explanation of the looks of the pipe's bowl sure sounds like re-drilling could have caused your issue. Not seeing the pipe before and after makes it tough to decide what happened. One thing that may stop debris from passing through is a small but still removable piece of pipe cleaner in the stummel OR the stem. I assume your pipe doesn't take a filter since you didn't mention it. I am also Stan. 8)

stan

Lurker
Aug 15, 2014
Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you Stan!
No it doesn’t have a filter. I’m just thinking if I should contact the guy. As its certainly not a cheap pipe and now I can’t smoke it to the bottom of the bowl.

tanzebjorn

Lurker
May 11, 2014
I bought a Chacom Tom Eltang some time ago. I bought it off of ebay from a respected seller. The pipe doesn't pass the cleaner test.
This is anoying me:!: I was hoping that the people at Chacom would be more pro. Especially while making a product with the Tom Eltang brand....

stan

Lurker
Aug 15, 2014
Recently I was given a Karl Erik pipe as a gift. It was purchased from a tobacco shop in Tucson and you can’t pass a pipe cleaner all the way through that.
The guy who made the pipe which this post is about said that he makes them with the pipe cleaner test in mind for the American market, but just does them how he was tort to do it for dormestic.
As an update on that pipe, I spoke to the maker today and he said to send it to him so he can take a look. I wont say his name for now till I hear what he’ll offer to do in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.