PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I have another newbie question. I have accumulated 10 different pipes. Each pipe has it's on personality, but I can put them into two groups: those with an a wide or free draw and those with a more restricted draw (most of these pipes have a stinger). Here's my question: what relationship does the draw (air movement) of a pipe have with the moisture level of the tobacco? Does a drier tobacco work in a pipe with a stricted draw better than a moist? What does your experience tell you?

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i find that some of my bent Petersons (with fairly narrow draw) clog more easily, and this problem is exacerbated by using overly moist, sticky tobacco (as well as tamping too much etc.)...i would guess (logically) that tobaccos that are more moist will smoke better in pipes with wide draws, and drier tobaccos in more narrow ones, but really there are no hard and fast rules....a lot has to do with the quality of the briar (or corn cob, or meerschaum etc.) and how well it absorbs moisture...it's really a trial and error process for you to discover with each pipe that you own (and that's not to say it's a chore by any means!)

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
First..I agree that everything smokes better with an open draw.Second..I dont like wet tobacco I usually let it dry before I smoke it.Dry tobacco in a pipe with an open draw is what I strive for.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I set aside a travel amount of 1Q in a plastic baggy and left it open for 24 hours. Stuck it in a corn cob and after I was finished smoking I still got wet unburnt tobacco at the bottom lol. It was a great smoke but I was surprized with the wet tobacco.
Open draw is best. The debate starts when u ask...how open? Nothing is better with a teeny draw. Bigger is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.