PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Until two days ago I had two pipes - one is my Dad's old four-hole Kaywoodie and the other is a Karl Eric half-bent brandy with a saddle bit. I used both of these to smoke Frog Morton several times. The draw on these two pipes seems about the same. The smoke would turn hot and bitey with a bit of ash taste about half-way through the smoke. Being new to this, this I took as "normal". Day before yesterday I purchased an inexpensive, used, half-bent brandy Savinella from my local tobacconist. It takes a filter, but I opted for buying an adapter to use. It has a fishtail stem. Last night I smoked a 5115 Virginia for the first time in it. The draw was much easier/more open than my other two pipes. Tonight I took the Savinella out for a go with the Frog Morton. Again the draw is much more open; was thinking perhaps this was a drawback. But the smoke progressed, and wow!!! Cool from beginning to end. More taste and sweeter without any bitterness. What is happening here? Is a more open pipe destined to provide a better smoke? I do not have the experience to know for certain, but based on tonight's experience I may opt for inexpensive Savinellas with adapters!

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
John - I'll defer to the experts to answer your question. I actually had a similar experience when I bought my corn cob. The cob has paper filter and I found the smoke was cool, while the draw ws a little firmer then my two non filtered pipes. I also found that the filter eliminated gurgling sound from drool as it absorb the spit before it could get to the baccy.
BTW - what did you pay for the pipe??

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you'd like another Savenelli pipe at a very reasonable price, you might look for Savenelli unfinished pipes.

Some of these come unfiltered, if you'd prefer. Cup O Joes has these, as do other online sites. Four or

five pipes wouldn't be to many, for a rotation. It's good to have enough so each can dry out for a day or two

before you smoke it again, depending on how often you smoke. As you will find in Forums, most are

extremely satisfied with Savenelli pipes. They are light weight, handsome, precisely drilled, and generally

good smokers. The unfinished ones look a bit like raw pine when you get them, but they soon turn a golden

brown and deepen with age. Some may have minor fills, but the briar is good quality, in my opinion.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
The pipe was $30. I think I will call to ask if he has any more of these around!
What is fascinating me is that a more open draw makes such a huge difference in taste, if that is indeed what is doing it.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I know Little Brown Smoke Shop had Savinelli private label pipes on sale for $29 in store. I know someone who got it and says it smokes great. Might have to call them directly, not sure if it is on the website.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my opinion a pipe with an open draw will smoke much much better than a pipe with a restricted draw. The Italian mfgs are known for having open draws which is why on the hole, they are famous for producing great smoking pipes even in the lower price category. Inexpensive Savinelli's are some of the best bang for the buck pipes out there.
Pipes with an open draw will smoke cooler and dryer and the tobacco will taste better. I would recommend if you are going to get into this hobby seriously, grab a few Savinelli's and make sure to rest them properly and clean them correctly as well. You will find your tobacco just tastes better.

Status
Not open for further replies.