PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
Hello. I have a very beginner question to ask. I recently bought my first basket pipe, and I now notice that the draught hole is not centered at the bottom of the bowl. It's slightly off to the right, and slightly higher than the bottom.
Since I am absolutely new to smoking a pipe, I wanted to ask how much of a difference that can make. The shop I bought it from has a very good reputation. Any thoughts? Thank you ver much.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Shouldn't really be an issue. May have to take it apart more to clean it, but really shouldn't affect its smokability.

There are some OCD guys who would let that drive them crazy. The off-centered hole is probably what got that one designated a bucket pipe. It wont affect the smoking at all. The hole being higher than the bottom would be standard on a Danish high end pipe. It is one of the ways they've engineered to keep the pipes from gurgling. If the droplets of water condensed by the stem gets stuck at the entrance, without anywhere to go , it gurgles. Having someplace gravity can pull the droplet, prevents the gurgle.
So, just enjoy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually, this is a left handed pipe. The draught hole is offset to the right to compensate for the slight angle introduced when held in the left hand, or clenched on the left side. Right handed pipes are drilled to enter the chamber slightly to the left, for the same reason.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Unless you're left handed but dress right, or vice-versa......then all's in balance and the hole will be dead center. The draft hole, that is.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I'll slightly disagree with cosmic here. Left to right, that will only bother your OCD, not its smoking qualities. Now being drilled high or low, at minimum, will alter the smoking qualities. I feel that being flush with the bottom is best for draw and not leaving too much dottle at the bottom of a bowl. Being drilled a little high isn't going to matter enough for you to be concerned, but I don't like them drilled too high. I don't think it reduces gurgle, but instead wastes tobacco. But we all have different experiences and opinions.

Crash, with all due respect, if you will go to a high end pipe shop and look through all of the best high end pipes, note the where the draft meets the chamber. On a straight pipe, yes dead bottom is preferable, because straight stems don't condensate as much, but on a bent pipe... Sorry, it's just the bad side effect of hanging out at a pipe shop with a pipe maker all day. Looking closely at the pipes, just gives me something to do while I smoke. :puffy:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Cosmic, I was referring to straight pipes. I suppose by Danish you may have implied bent, but I didn't realize that. I'll agree that a bent pipe can be drilled differently. And of course, I meant no disrespect in disagreeing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.