PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
TCZs0nY.jpg

Another gift from a family member, so another restoration. This one has more than a few problems, so I would have passed on it. However, being a gift from my youngest sister, how could I leave it to rot?
It had large fills on the side of the bowl, a fair amount of the rim was burned down, the rim was heavy with char, the bowl was heavy with cake, the stem's tenon had a glue repair and the stinger went into the bowl.
Some research showed that the stinger in the bowl was common for Dr. Plumb pipes though.
A full albulm of the restoration work is here:

http://imgur.com/a/b0UfF#0

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hi, I just came across this post as I was doing some research on Dr. Plumb pipes, as I recently picked up a nice example of one. The stinger really floored me as I have never seen one that went into the bowl like that, or was so complicated looking. I checked out your album, and I saw that mine has the same stinger, but is longer, and doesn't go into the bowl as far. In fact when I got it the stinger was mounted upside down from what yours is. Its easy to turn it around so that the little holes are on top, but is this the way they are suppose to go? I've smoked it once with the stinger, which I normally don't like, and it seemed to smoke ok, no gurgling, but it won't pass a pipe cleaner. Do you smoke yours with the stinger in, or did you remove it? I'll try it without the stinger next time as the stem fits fine without it, but there is a groove in the bowl bottom that the stinger fits in that bothers me a little. If you revisit this post, let me know how you've dealt with the stinger issue. Thanks. By the way the restore looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.