Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Dr. Peterson, Sherlock Holmes Pipe - PICS

(12 posts)
  1. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another of my kinda goofy pipe projects. Saw this Peterson on eBay and got it for $8.50. Not sure it was even worth that, but I like the challenge of trying to restore really messed up pipes. The Dr. Peterson title is because it came with a Dr. Grabow Omega stem. The pipe is a Sherlock Holmes Rathbone pipe made in 1998 I believe, but as you can see it had some real issues. I addition to the cracks that are visible there was another bad one on the front of the bowl. The bowl had all kinds of dings in it too, but I didn't try to get rid of most of them. The stem was a hot mess too, the airway was totally blocked and the bit was chewed up pretty badly. The seller might be a member here as he recommended George D. to restore it, but I doubt George would want to see this show up on his bench. At any rate, it was fun to restore, but I haven't tried to smoke it yet as I'm waiting for the pipe mud I smeared around the inside to dry.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm stunned.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amazing looking little restore you have there! I might just be keen to start looking for that kind of thing myself. I always enjoy making new things and restoring other things I find interesting. Might be a nice little project to buy up old pipes here and there and fix them up in my spare time. Very nicely done! I like that you didn't fix all the issues, I believe that those little things show character.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

Wow, it cracked both inside and outside of the bowl. How did you fill the cracked? It's amazing restore!

Adhie was here
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely pipe. Well done!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was a hot mess when you got it. Now it is just plain gorgeous! Great job of restoring that old workhorse.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stem worthy! It's such a good job that you deserve to spend some cash to put a real Pete stem on that beauty.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

That's just incredible. Beautiful work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the comments guys! I filled in the cracks with some JB Wood Weld, super glue and wood filler plus some briar dust all in different steps. I've found that this works rather nicely and provides a strong bond. On close inspection you can see the repairs, but using a dark stain helps to hide them. Inside the bowl I make sure to fill in the cracks and fissures with a good coating of pipe mud! I'm sure a real pipe repair person (George) would not necessarily approve of my methods, but smoking these repair pipes of mine seems to be fine and I've had no ill effects or problems with the pipes.

I've been thinking of at least getting stem that looks more like the original, especially because the Omega bit is horrible. I went ahead and sanded it down to be more like a regular button with an orifice opening.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great job on that one Orley!I don't know how some of you manage to do this. I Never could...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nicely done. You make it look easy lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I am sure that pipe is happy as hell

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tozert, jvnshr, bigpond, willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud