Dr. Grabow Viking and Yello-Bole Checker (pic heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
I found both at a junk shop in SE Minnesota for $6 each. I have never restored an estate pipe, but I think they were a good find - especially for the price. I will be updating with more photos as it progresses. Need to get a reamer and put some more elbow grease into getting those stems cleaned up well. I'm not TOO concerned about the teeth marks as I use rubber clench bits on all my pipes.
The only thing I don't 100 percent understand is the two-flag emblem on the Yello-Bole. Is that indicative of the age of the pipe or perhaps a different stem?
DSCN0968_zpsolj60d8y.jpg

DSCN0967_zpsn8nbqkqa.jpg

DSCN0965_zpsc9x1tdi5.jpg

DSCN0975_zpsfagsxu7u.jpg

DSCN0976_zpsg0xawmzd.jpg

DSCN0978_zpsy1l7babz.jpg

DSCN0969_zpstz9ioavb.jpg

DSCN0972_zpsgkxy6tt1.jpg

DSCN0973_zpsc0py6yv4.jpg

DSCN0974_zpswderrkne.jpg

DSCN0971_zps5fnmbpeq.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
You'll get some good smokes out of those after you get them cleaned up. That metal filter will pull right out of the Yello-Bole stem so you can give it thorough cleaning. I've got two Checkers and that is the correct stem for the pipe.

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
~~
Anyone recommend dumping and starting the salt/Everclear over at this point or just leaving it for another day, cleaning, and eventually smoking them after a two-three day rest?
Day Two progress:
DSCN0979_zpskgbjkntl.jpg

DSCN0980_zpsfpli21cn.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'd say dump the salt, give it another cleaning with pipe cleaners and alcohol, let em rest for a day, then try them out. If you notice and ghosting you can always repeat the salt treatment.

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
Noted. I dumped, cleaned out the salt, and noticed that not all the salt was the top color. I think I need to add salt/dash of Everclear. Add salt/dash of Everclear. Then let it rest once it's full.
Also, cannot remove the pipe cleaner from the Yello-Bole. Gonna soak it when I get home to melt the salt crystals I figure are jamming it up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those checkers are nice little pipes, light weight and nicely machined. I have a pot panel. I bought mine new about two years ago, but I haven't seen them available new since. I'm surprised the U.S. made push-bit briar factory pipes have become so rare. The Bentons that used to be Iwan Ries house pipes are still pictured but the entire page of all house pipes have been out of stock for more than a year, with no comment or explanation. I read this as: We are trying to make a deal with some pipe maker for house pipes, but we haven't closed a deal. Standby. But of course, I'm guessing; IR doesn't answer questions on the subject, but invite you to leave your email and they'll get back when the pipe you choose is available, although it appears they may no longer be made.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here are my two checkers. I tried to do a slightly dark contrast stain on the back one. Still trying to get than hang of that technique. I do like the bent stem better.
checkers_zpsnxeal2mc.jpg

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
Nice set tuold.
I have them all cleaned up and resting. I intend to take photos this weekend and post them here. That Senior reamer didn't do as well as I had hoped. It looked promising, but failed to deliver. Perhaps I'll give it another try after some Youtube education.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Yeah the Senior reamer isn't shaped like a typical bowl. I use it mostly as an expanding clamp that can then be put in a bench vise. The Castleford set is a much better tool. I got mine on the Bay.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah the Senior reamer isn't shaped like a typical bowl. I use it mostly as an expanding clamp that can then be put in a bench vise. The Castleford set is a much better tool. I got mine on the Bay.
I agree,the Castleford and similar reamers do a better job for most pipes. The Seniors and Kleen Reem seem to work best on tapered chambers.

I use my Kleen Reem to hold pipes in the vice also!

Status
Not open for further replies.