PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I've recently become enamored with this style of pipe (Viking, Falcon, etc). I was especially excited to find one today in an antique shop on my travels. This will be the first in my collection. My question to my fellow pipers - what year did Dr Grabow stop making these and is it difficult to find replacement bowls? Apologies for any errors - posting from my phone is a little difficult.

Reactions: Maynard58

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I looked on pipedia but didnt find much, ejames is the resident grabow expect, maybe he will chime in. I recently picked up a falcon and am in love with the thing.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I lurk once in a while just to see what you guys are to !
I've recently become enamored with this style of pipe (Viking, Falcon, etc). I was especially excited to find one today in an antique shop on my travels. This will be the first in my collection. My question to my fellow pipers - what year did Dr Grabow stop making these and is it difficult to find replacement bowls? Apologies for any errors - posting from my phone is a little difficult.
While I have been trying to sell of my collection I just bought some Viking bowls from a friend who came in from Vegas to visit for a while. I have 13 new-never smoked bowls to sell. $15.00 each shipped. PM me with an email address and I can send pics.
The Viking haven't been made for several years but the factory did have some available about two years ago.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I really appreciate the responses. ejames - do you know what was stamped on the bottom of the more recent pipes? I was reading that after the Falcon lawsuit they had to stamp "Dr. Grabow" on the bottom - however, mine just has "Viking" stamped on the bottom and not the brand.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It sounds like you have a "1st generation" Viking. They were not stamped Dr. Grabow-just Viking and a patent number.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
jacks6, here's a couple of pics of an early 1st Gen, and a 2nd Gen. Viking. The one with the white bowl is the early 1st gen. Viking. The 2nd gen. pipes were available in bent or straight. 2nd gen.pipes are stamped Dr. Grabow.

There is a third version of the Viking called "Viking Jr." which is smaller than the others and is very hard to find.

2016-11-22-003-800x739-600x554.jpg

2016-11-22-001-800x609-600x456.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Viking stems are 1 1/2" long. Late models have an inlaid spade.early pipes do not have a spade--mine doesn't anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.