PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dr. Grabow pipes started in Chicago before it landed in Sparta, N.C. Read all about it:
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Grabow

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone own pipes from the Linkman era? I think there were some stamped Linkman (?). Dr. Grabow was a friend who got the whole brand named after him.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have this Linkman 8487. Most of my favorite pipes are older Grabows.
EZIOqhk.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tuold, Mighty fine! I have a more-or-less current -- maybe eight years old -- Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog that I admire a lot. Factory pipe or not, someone did some focused and high level shaping on the bowl that impresses me. I think the people who make the Dr. Grabow pipes put a lot of care and experience into them. But yours is a real treasure.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have one of my great grandfather's Linkmans Dr Grabows. It's a beautiful pipe, but it needed severe stem work. I tried to send it in, but was told that the threaded tenon portion was seized to the stem, and the only way he could get it out was to "unscrew" the whole thing from the shank portion. I wish I would have gotten some second opinions because I feel the pipe is ruined now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
seanv, good luck with the Linkmans restoration. I'm a Chicagoland kid (near northwest suburb) who has spent most of his adult life in North Carolina, so I identify in a whimsical way with Dr. Grabow's life story, moving from Chicago to N.C. (Yeah, talk about an egocentric remark.)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Most of my pipes were acquired via auction and a lot of those arrived as inclusions with a pipe rack.

My first Grabow was a beat up looking straight apple orange spaded Westbrook and it soon became a favorite smoker.

After that I began to read up on the brand and of course, encountered several posts and lots of information from our late member, E. James as well as DaveT and others here.

I have several Grabows now, some I went after specifically due to their Chicago heritage and the idea that older can be better. I had one that was a great clencher, a Group 3 sized straight Dublin/billiard Tru-Grain that I confess, I dropped from my mouth onto the roadway while lunting and broke it at the shank right in two. Damn! Long story how that happened, involving a neighbor's siamese cat.

The thing about these older Grabows and even some that originated in Sparta is the stems seem to be really comfortable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, a whole world of Linkman pipes. And I really enjoy knowing that the Linkman pipe factory is now a library building at DePaul University. They should have a plaque, if they don't. From the earlier thread I see they have maintained the company name over the door!

Status
Not open for further replies.