PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
Hello all,
I'm new to the hobby having just picked up my first corncob over the weekend at a hole in the wall tobacco store. I had a heck of a time finding one with all the shops cluttered with those e-cigarettes and hookahs! They didn't stock good pipe tobacco and the guy said I could just pack some tobacco he brought out from the back in an unmarked bag free of charge. How nice of him! Smelled like cherries and the smoke was pleasing to all who were present as I lit it up. The taste was... I don't know. I didn't burn my tongue at all but it seemed kind of flavorless. Anyways I'm rambling now.
My question lies with the actual pipes. No offense to anyone here who thinks differently but I think the corn cob is hideous. It's too rural for my style. I got it because it was cheap and I would like to spend the money on tobaccos rather than a briar pipe to see if this hobby is even worth getting into. If I ever upgrade to a briar pipe, what should I pick? The Dr. Grabow's are about $15-$20 cheaper. Are Parker's really that better in function and aesthetics? I've read good things about Grabow's as pipes but aesthetics are an important factor for me. Are they on par with one another or do the Grabow's look cheap in hand? It's hard to make choices like this shopping online when you can't see and touch and hold these things before purchasing them!
Thanks for any input you can offer.
EDIT:
This is one Parker I was looking at.
http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipes/parker-london-briar-no2-smooth-walnut-brown/#.VtXbOeam1YU
Shipping would put it around the $45 mark for me in the USA. I haven't looked hard to see what Parkers are available from an American retailer and how much they would cost. Could anyone tell from the chamber dimensions how long of an average smoke that would give? Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard katarn'. Dr. Grabows are good smoking pipes for the most part. I'd recommend the Royalton series with acrylic stems, for a few bucks more. No Grabows boast a lot of grain but they do the job and are durable. "Looks cheap" is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks feel a little soiled if they smoke a pipe that cost less than $500, and that's okay. Personally, I would gladly smoke a MM or Old Dominion corncob pipe wearing a tuxedo. I wasn't born in the country, but all of my associations with corn cob pipes are good. So it's an individual thing. I own a Parker, and it's also a good pipe, and might be seen by some as a step up from a Dr. Grabow. I'd focus less on the arbitrary image of pipes and decide what you like more on intrinsic traits. If you want higher end pipes, learn about those and what makes them unique. An expensive pipe won't make you better, nor an inexpensive one make you less. Find what you enjoy and let the spectators think what they will.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The Parker is a decent pipe and GQ is a very reputable company. Based on the dimensions I'd say you should get a 45 minute smoke. It all depends on your smoking cadence and the cut of the blend. I know guys that would get over an hour from that bowl.

As for cobs, don't sell them short. They are very durable and great for sampling blends without risking a ghost in the briars.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
Thanks for the timely replies, the welcome, and the information, gentlemen. I didn't mean to sell the MM short! It gets the job done. I just don't care for its appearance. But it was $8 and I know I'm going to get my money's worth trying out what kinds of tobacco I would like best as well as learning how to properly pack it, light it, and smoke it. The aesthetics are important to me. I need to like the way it looks to fully enjoy the experience.
I think eventually I will go with the Parker. It doesn't seem to be as popular as Grabow's or higher end pipes so I had trouble finding much info about them but what little I've heard it's been all good things.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum, and the hobby.
Parker all the way. Parker is a Dunhill subsidiary. Very popular in the UK.
I will also share my standard advice for newcomers to the hobby. Smoke the best quality tobacco you can afford in the best quality pipes you can afford. Nothing wrong with being careful with your money, but there is a difference between being frugal (which I tend to be) and cheap. Good quality pipes and tobacco will increase your enjoyment of the hobby.
I'd also suggest checking out US e-tailers, if you are in the States. Put your money into pipes, not shipping. :puffy:

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I have a really nice black, rusticated bulldog Parker. It's maybe my most smoked pipe. I'd certainly recommend them.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
If I were choosing between a Parker and a Grabow, I'd choose Parker every time. That being said, nothing wrong with a Grabow.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
Smoke the best quality tobacco you can afford in the best quality pipes you can afford. Nothing wrong with being careful with your money, but there is a difference between being frugal (which I tend to be) and cheap. Good quality pipes and tobacco will increase your enjoyment of the hobby.
Great advice. I did my research on pipes and think I've got a basic understanding of what's out there. I find the differences in tobacco overwhelming and confusing. I think I just have to try it myself to understand the differences in it all. I ordered some CAO aromatics and will probably try out some VA blends and some English blends with the corncob before deciding what I like best.
Does anyone have any suggestions what VA blends a beginner should try? I was thinking of going with some Frog Morton when I'm ready to tackle an English. I have heard nothing but good things from YouTubers and various online retailer reviews. I don't know much about VA blends.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The old Parkers are better than the new ones. But my opinion is that any Parker is probably a better choice than a Grabow.

fallsguy

Lurker
Jan 29, 2012
If you're going to have to pay around $15.00 for shipping, I would check Ebay first. You should be able to find a nice Parker or Grabow (or other good brand) for that price, and perhaps get more pipe for your money.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Does anyone have any suggestions what VA blends a beginner should try?
I'd move slowly on this - wait until you get some experience under your belt before you tackle these. As a beginner, you are learning how to smoke a pipe as well as exploring different blends. I understand the urge to try lots of things at once,but don't try to go to fast. Use a very limited number of blends - 1 to 3 - to learn how to smoke a pipe, and explore those blends and decide what you like or don't like. Then expand your range a little bit. There's mo hurry. :)

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
More good advice. Thanks. I was having buyers remorse picking aromatics after reading a lot of negative things about them after the fact. But they had good reviews so we'll see. They are supposed to arrive today but the weather is awful at the moment. It looks and feels like spring one day and then the next it's freezing and snowing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd go for a new pipe as a new smoker, just to have fewer variables. Some ebay and other online sellers give accurate information and do good jobs of sanitizing and sometimes restoring pipes, but with an "estate" (used) pipe, there are many more unknowns. Right now you want to focus on selecting a good smokeable pipe and learning the ropes on smoking it. For ten bucks more, or whatever, get a new pipe and wade into estate pipes later, I would recommend. On the choice between a Dr. Grabow and Parker, I'd get the Dr. Grabow now, and the Parker soon, since you will need a few pipes for a rotation. Smoking a pipe is a simple pleasure, and you don't want to do anything that will make it look or feel complicated -- trying to fix a cracked shank or repair a burn-out spot int he chamber, etc. Keep it simple.

oldseadog

Lurker
Feb 23, 2016
My first few pipes were Dr. Grabow. I have other briars church wardens, Meerschaums, over 20 Missouri Meerschaum pipes. All of which are good to great. I would keep to your MIssouri Meerschaum for a while to learn the art and science of smoking. Then go to bigger and better pipes. Here is why; first the cobb doesn't need a breaking in period so they say. For me always been a great smoke. They also don't ghost or need a rest like briars do. But bottom line if after six months you say to heck with pipes your out what eight bucks for a great pipe and what ever you bought in tobacco. You start spending money on pipes and a few of my Meerschaums are over 200 dollars. You want a good pipe Dr Grabow is good you will have enjoyment from it. But don't go cheep. My son bought me a cheap pipe and it was a nasty experience.

I digress don't fret if you use a Grabow. Just learn the art and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.