PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Calling all Grabow experts!
I recently won an auction for a handsome Dr. Grabow Mobile Marine Oils pipe, seen here: eBay Listing
I can't find a lot of information on these pipes, other than that they're relatively rare, and were manufactured as some sort of promotional give-away for the Mobile Oil company. Does anyone else own one of these, or have any other information regarding the time frame these pipes were produced? Any information is appreciated.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't have any info for you, but the pipe and your avatar are making me nostalgic for the days when pipes and oil were both very popular!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
According to what I found on RJ McKay's site the "pre-smoked" stamp was used approx. 1943-48. I believe some were made later than that also. I've had one of the Marine Oil pipes and a Mobil "Gargoyle" Oil pipe but really don't remember much about them. I gave them to RJ a few years back. He's on Facebook and can probably tell you more.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
the "pre-smoked" stamp was used approx. 1943-48
Wow! Older than I thought...I was going to guess the pipe was from the 60's. Thanks for the input!

kyrob

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2011
Yeah, I read something recently about there being only a very low number of them made. Bugger if know where I saw that at.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nifty commemorative pipe, and it's aged well. I wonder how they were distributed. It sounds like a highly targeted audience -- marina owners or fishing fleet crew members.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great avatar!
In the future, for all questions DG just turn on the Bat Lamp and our Mr. Ed will respond.
He's a Grabow wizard.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.