Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Tonight's show should be exceptionally good.
Our featured guest is Dr. Fred Hanna. Fred has a PhD. and is a professor teaching graduate level courses on Counseling & Psychotherapy at the University of Northern Colorado. He is also author of the book, The Perfect Smoke and creator of two tobacco blends; Wilderness and Legends made by McClelland. Fred will be telling us some fascinating, and perhaps even astounding facts about nicotine.
In the intro "Pipe Parts" segment, Brian will tell you the difference between cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco. There might be more to it than you think.
Fred Hanna

fred-hanna.jpg

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Very interesting! Would love to hear more about those two spectacular McClelland blends as well as the differences between cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco. Might come in handy when speaking to those who don't like my pipe smoking!
-Frank

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Wow, this should be a good one. I really enjoy talking to Fred. He is really knowledgeable and has a wonderful style in sharing his knowledge.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Fred is truly one of the pillars of our hobby - err, lifestyle. Love his book, and his Wilderness and Legends blends are really great. When I was on Smokers Forums, I used to really enjoy interacting with him on the threads. Once had a great debate with him on whether pipe smoking was a form of meditation or not. He pulled out all the stops on that one. I'll be sitting at the front of the audience for this one.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Fred is an amazing talent. I'd also like to hear about his pairing tobacco with wine. I know he's an expert wine taster as well.

I look forward to another great episode of the Pipesmagazine Radio Show.

:clap:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Hot damn that was a great hearing Dr. Fred Hanna talk about Nicotine and all of the cool stuff they're doing with it; or trying to do.
As much as I despise the pharmaceutical companies, I do think it will be great if they figure out a way to help people with the form that nicotine takes once it's been metabolized into your system.
I also couldn't help but feel a sense of confirmation when I heard him talking about all the studies that mention the benefits of nicotine on the brain. I myself love the affect a morning bowl gives me. I feel more mentally alert, awake, and do enjoy slightly improved memory and motor skills as I type away on the keyboard haha.
I'll admit I haven't been listening to the complete show lately because the discussions really haven't captured me the way the first 10-15 shows did. But this one was perfect.
I hope one day you'll get to the point of having multiple guests in person to hold discussions, or just to shoot the shit. Hearing some well known and/or interesting figures in the tobacco community just sit around and B.S. would be great fun.
Thanks for all the hard work guys. Great job on this one. :puffy:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
That was an amazing show! Will be replaying it for my spouse, who was very interested in the research that Dr. Hanna mentioned.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Just listened to the show. Fred's interview was one of the best. I'd like to hear more from him.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Just caught the interview. Wow! What an outstanding interview! If ever a guest should be called back for a follow up … Fred’s book also touches upon the beneficial aspects of nicotine to brain chemistry. Is it any wonder really that so many (most?) of the greatest minds of the 20th Century were ardent pipe smokers? And that so many lived long lucid lives. Tobacco indeed was the greatest gift from the New World to the Old. I’d even go so far as to say that the greatest strides in human endeavor over the last half millennia, from the conquest of the seas to NASA’s landing on the moon, were the direct result of tobacco’s influence on the human brain.

johnoerter

Lurker
Mar 7, 2011
Brian, great show! Keep up the good work!
I'm a preacher and fly fisherman and have noticed the focusing and calming effect of my pipe smoking; I find I smoke often when writing my sermons or teachings, and when tying flies. Most interesting to know about the fine-motor-skills enhancement, and I'm sure it helps me think and plan. Also, when fishing, which requires numerous hand-eye and reaction-time movements, I routinely smoke ... also keep the bugs at bay.
Again, thanks, wonderful show!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Fred' book is currently out of print. NASPC Press is considering another run of it.
Really good show. Brian was excellent as always. Fred is such a great person to listen on this topic. Same the Smoking Nazis won't give him a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.