PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Finally got around to try this stuff. I picked up a pouch during my last visit to Chicago a few months ago and then promptly forgot about it and left it sitting in a drawer. IRC's pouch mixtures come in a mylar bag (something they call "perma-moist"). Anyway, thinking I'd ruined it I opened it up and found the baccy to slightly moist but certainly not dried out--so, those pouches do seem to work.
I'm not very good at describing tobacco like others here on the forum, but I'm enjoying this one. It's not listed as an aromatic but in the pouch it does have a berry or plum like smell along with some latakia. However, when smoking this the berry/plum flavoring really takes a back seat to a medium tobacco flavor with a hint of latakia. The lat is there, no doubt, but it's minor player and adds to the overall flavor rather than dominates. And the berry/plum flavor is there, barely--again, it does not overpower the wonderful tobacco taste--it's reminiscent of the light plum taste one gets from smoking University Flake; it's there, but not very noticeable. I'm really having difficulty in describing this one since it smells like an aromatic in the pouch but does not smoke like one. It's a cool, dry smoke that doesn't leave a heavy lat taste in your mouth (that you end up tasting days afterward). And I like latakia but some blends do go over the top with it a bit. I'm also not getting much of a nic hit which is never a problem for me.
Definitely jarring this to keep on hand when I want a smooth, relaxing smoke with some lat and plum. However, this could easily be an all day smoke as well. Wondering how this pairs with Plumcake; I've never tried Plumcake but other reviews state that it can bite. I'm not experiencing any bite with Dr. Bradley and I tend to over puff a bit. Definitely worth a try if you're interesting in trying something a bit different!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
pipefish:
Concerning Mac Baren's pipe-tobaccos, some seem to take great delight in lambasting them with the same unfortunate and unfair reputation that is applied to Pit Bulldogs, to wit: "Oh, they bite!" Typically it is not the tobacco or the dog, but rather their owners that are the problem, so don't let negative reviews dissuade you from trying Plumcake which I find to be a delightful smoke. I am currently revisiting a 100-gram tin which I purchased and opened in December of 2005, and I can say without reservation that what started out as good has only gotten better with age.
When last I visited Iwan Ries I, too, purchased a pouch of Dr. Bradley Mixture, and out of curiosity, just compared its aroma to that of Plumcake. To my nose they ARE similar. Further, your description of Dr. Bradley Mixture fairly describes my own perception of Plumcake, so my guess is that if you like the former, then you will also enjoy the latter.
I hope that this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.