PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I don't have a Dr.Bob pipe, but I've admired them, especially a volcano that I was trying to make up my mind about. It was on sale for the longest time and I was hoping for a price drop, but it recently got sold.

Now here's the thing: A review/comment would be particularly helpful. Is there no one on this forum who has a Dr. Bob pipe who could comment on it for tanless1? (and maybe me in the process?) Inquiring minds want to know.

thanks, brothers.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have this Dr. Bob horn which I bought at the Columbus Pipe Show probably 6 or 7 years ago. First off, I'm not terribly fond of the rustication but other than that it's an EXCELLENT pipe. Very precise engineering; there's very little gap between the end of the tenon and the bottom of the mortice and a pipe cleaner passes all the way to the bottom. It's drilled perfectly and the draft hole fairly wide open.
The bit is a bit round for my liking, but given the overall horn shape I concede that it would look odd with a flatter stem. It has a VERY large capacity and as you can see it has VERY thick walls.
This is a great pipe. It's definitely a cut above the average factory made pipe, which is of course what one would expect from a hand made pipe. At the same time when I bought this, I also bought an estate Boswell which I traded away soon after, as I didn't think it was nearly as comfortable or smoked as well as the Dr. Bob pipe.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
i never heard of dr bob pipes. can someone fill me in. Dr plume pipes i have heard of though

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Dr. Bob Keiss is a practicing physician in New England who makes pipes in his spare time. You can see his work at drbobpipes.com

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Wow, I was just poking around his site. The man makes some nice looking pieces! :worship:
That first Canadian is beautiful.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Dr. Bob makes some amazing Hawkbill shaped pipes. And his smooth finished pieces are tops. Of course I am a bit prejudiced because he is a good friend of mine. :)

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Yes i do about 3 he is a great pipe maker and a fine man .

I have met him many times at the C.O.R.P.S. show in richmond va.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Andy, maybe you could convince your buddy to put some up on Briarbid for *ahem* closeout-esque prices. I know a guy in Maine who would be all over that.
*hint: it's me!*
:mrgreen:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Instymp, the beach chair pipe rest was a gift from a friend. It belonged to his late father and my friend estimated it being about 50 years old. I've never seen another like it, but I'm willing to bet that it was sold in a Tinder Box or other mass-market retailer. I've had several people offer to buy it, but given its provenance it's not for sale.
Harris, I believe Dr. Bob works in both acrylic and vulcanite. The bit on my pipe shown above is vulcanite.
JJ

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
JJ, I have just gone by all the pipes he lists being all acrylic. If I go for a commission I will ask him about vulcanite. He does some great work for sure.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
SWMBO gave me an envelope with some wallet sized portraits of Benjamin Franklin and told me to pick out my birthday present at the Chicago show. Dr. Bob is definitely one of the pipemakers whose work I will be examining. Of course, I'll also be looking at Rad Davis, Dunhill, J. T. Cooke, ... Be still, my heart!

Status
Not open for further replies.