PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Almost everyone hates the stinger and recommends that if removable, remove it.
But there is also talk in a couple threads about the tenon falling short of the mortise, creating a condensation chamber.
I have a handful of pipes with a stinger and smoke them as is, and yes, they can get sloppy if you smoke them fast. Nice tar soup starter. But in the couple that I took out the stinger, one, which had a ball-type stinger, was worse for moisture (The other was never a moisture-maker to begin with, and isn't now -- that one had been a tube stinger).
The one that's giving me the problem, I suspect, is doing so because the stinger left a big void. It was engineered for a stinger in place, but I took that out.
Do you think what's happening is that void is acting like a condensation chamber now? Would that make sense? And if so, then, for some pipes with stingers, it might be better to leave them in place (at least in cases like this one). Just depends on the particular pipe?
Anybody with similar experience/suspicion?

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I've avoided the purchase of pipes with 'stingers' in them for a very long time ... the one pipe I owned back in the day which had one in it was utterly unsmokeable so I tried removing the 'stinger' thinking it might help ... wrong ... the pipe was still unsmokeable ...
I know, there are those who don't mind these contraptions, but I'm not among their number ... if it has a 'stinger' in it, I won't buy it, no matter how attractive the pipe is otherwise ...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My Kings Cross Featherweight 110A (Sav sub-brand)came with a stinger. I smoked it a few times with it in then just decided to toss it. Pipe smokes fine for its size, and it smokes dryer without it.
Dot

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Most of my Chacom pipes had stingers which I removed. They did smoke a little wet during the breakin period, but once a solid cake developed, the moisture issue went away.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
If it comes with a stinger I will try it with and without. Seems some pipes were specifically engineered to work with a stinger and some were just thrown in. The latter sometimes end up being detrimental. I have a few pipes with stingers. Some work fine with or without the stinger, a couple perform worse with it and others work better with it. So it pretty much all depends on the pipe like you said. The blend and how you smoke could be factors also. I usually try to buy pipes without stingers otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.