PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I loved it! And, if he worked for me and made that file on duty, he would no longer be driving around an industrial? park. He'd now be pounding a beat for a couple of months, losing 20 pounds or so, while ruminating on how he misspent the taxpayer's dollars. The punishment wouldn't be for the lark, it would be meted out for stupidly allowing it to go viral. Some things are best kept for the squad-room only. Tax payers can be pesky when they see their moneys ill spent.
Of course, I'd save a copy of the file for his retirement party. I do have a sense of humor, it's well hidden but it's there.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
LOL, cut the guy some slack Warren! The convex lens adds 20 lbs, it was probably Friday afternoon, payday, & his wife was away visiting her mother for the weekend! We've all been there.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Obviously staged, as I observed earlier. And the camera, while it does add weight, does not add the extra chins.
I would cut him some slack of course. I did stupid stuff. Still a bit of discipline is required if only to instill in others that such behavior is frowned upon. Only two reasons to discipline that I know of; 1) if the offender doesn't recognize his misbehavior and 2) to show others that such behavior is not to be tolerated.
Now, I wasn't such an ogre that I didn't recognize the humor in the activity. And, I was also one who pushed the envelope of allowable behavior when I was in the mood. I did always accept my discipline with good grace when caught. I would expect the sergeant in the above to do so also, with nary a peep to his shop steward. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. I had more than a couple of days off without pay as a street cop.
Again if the file hadn't gone public, thus reflecting poorly on all his fellow officers, I probably would have simply let it go with a verbal reprimand.
I still think the humor was worth the time off when I radioed dispatch that "I was at the station pumping . . . Ethal." A simple "10-7 (out of service), gas" was not near as funny. I got the laughs and a couple of days off to bask in the notoriety. The time off was not for the humorous message, it was for not considering that the statement was made over the air, where everyone with a monitor heard.
He knew it was stupid when he did it, that's part of the attraction of such behavior. It's all in good clean fun and the punishment would fit the crime. Take away his car, improve him physically and put him in close contact with his employers, the public. He'd catch a break by being allowed to keep his stripes. Unless, of course he wasn't a particularly good supervisor, then the stripes would go away. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I laughed my ass off at that video. Our law enforcement officers should loosen up and blow off some steam.

As a matter of fact, everyone should take a step back...and then let her rip. If others think you are nuts, that's their problem. Laugh at yourself first. It makes living a whole lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.