PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Screen%20Shot%202014-10-13%20at%207.43.16%20PM.png

Ordered today, now the wait from Turkey.
I've smoked meers before, but never a high quality one save for a CAO Bacchus head that simply wouldn't stay lit. There was something wrong with that pipe but I never figured out what as it was rather early on in my pipe smoking career.
I like nosewarmers, so while I will be breaking the cardinal rule and handling the meer while smoking, it should at least give me a taste of what they're capable of.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you are unduly concerned with coloring you can wear a cotton glove or cradle the pipe with a handkerchief over your palm. Me? I never worried all that much about it and mine all color nicely. I handle the bowl lightly and always with clean hands. That's about the only nod I give to coloring.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
lol yeah I'm totally going to buy a white glove to smoke a pipe
No, I'm not that concerned with coloring. It's a nice side effect, but I care more about the smoke than the coloring ;)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Just the cheap cotton ones that photo lab workers wear. A couple of bucks a dozen. Anything clean that will keep the oils from our skin off the pipe and the wax off your fingers. Nothing fancy, unless you are trying to impress the ladies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Well Bacchus was the god of wine and friskiness, not tobacco, so that should answer that... ;)
But his pipe has great lines and is sure to be a great smoker.
Let us know and congratulations.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I handle my meers the same way as I do with briars. The nice aspect of smooth meers is that they are easier to rewax, which helps the coloring. Which I understand is the main reason some meers won't color above the bottom third because the handling removes the wax on a warm pipe.
That's a nice Altinok, Sinan does excellent work.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a beautiful pipe! I like the way the bowl transitions to the shank; and the steep taper of the stem gives it a hefty look.

The deep, iridescent white of the bowl is mesmerizing. It has an otherworldly purity that I could stare into for hours.
I have used a chamois cloth, from an auto parts store, to make a sleeve to hold the meer. It prevents the pipe from slipping

from your grip; and it can be tacked with thread at various points around the pipe to make temporary removal easy.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Cortez. No matter how you slice it...that's just playing "dolly" with your pipe.
j/k

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Clean hands and reapplying the beeswax are the key IMHO. Look at the difference in this one with one simple waxing.

Beautiful choice you made, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.