Tags:  No tags yet. 

Doomsday Pipe

(80 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by pianopuffer
  • Latest reply from kiltedpiper
  1. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Was thinking about this as I do my yearly check on my BoB, going through supplies and adding or modifying my bag's contents in case we need to make a quick getaway. At first, I considered this as more of a resource should there be an attack on our city, but in recent months, the fires in CA have also been a good reason for me to be prepared. Crisis can come in many forms, as we all know.

Who out there has includes a pipe etc. in their go bags? I'm betting that if push came to shove, I wouldn't be able to grab my pipes from the rack as well as lots of tobacco, so I'm wondering how to others prepare in this area?

Simply a couple of pipes plus tobacco pouches and a Bic lighter wrapped in a Ziplock?

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's a BoB?

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After a couple of mandatory quick evacuations at the mall where my wife works, she now carries her DL and one key in her bra with $20 in a shoe. Since the shootings at the mall, they will make everyone leave quickly, without being able to get their purses. So, the first night, all of the mall employees were shoved out the door into the cold night, with no jackets, nor purses, nor able to get into their cars. The police were complete heartless dicks about it too. And, I say this as someone in a law enforcement family.

Me, I always have a pipe in my glove box with a pouch of Carter Hall, since I have never seen Carter Hall dry out. But, I might need to put something more seasonal in the glove box, like a light latakia so that I can taste it in this nippy air.

But, all in all if it were an emergency and had to leave without my pipes, I could go a week or so without them. Then I could always just go get a cigar. I love my pipes, and everyone who knows me, knows that I keep a pipe lit in my chompers at all times. But, my pipe isn't as priority as my family, now, whether my pipes are as/more important as my dog and cat?... hmmmm...

Michael
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Workman, BoB stands for “Bug Out Bag”. It’s an emergency supply kit that paranoid, Rambo-fantasy types keep at hand so they can grab and go and run and gun, when the SHTF. That means “Shit Hits the Fan”. They secretly pray for some opportunity to learn that they really weren’t at all prepared for the shit actually hitting the fan.

Actually, I greatly admire those who have some reasonable level of preparedness and safety net. I look at a cabinet full of tobacco and wonder “where’s the food?”

I have no BOB so I will be SOL.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Oh, and I do keep an emergency pipe, sealed tin of Chelsea Morning, and a Bic in a drawer at work. Just in case

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahhh... I thought it meant "Brothers of the Briar," and I was wonder why he only checked on them once a year, ha ha. I've always seen that group referred to as BoB.

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I plan to stay home and die comfortable.

Posted 7 months ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I don't have a BoB I do have two bags packed at all times. One is a carry on sized that has almost everything I need for three days of travel and the other is a gear bag that has all the scene exam gear I need.

Both bags have 3 to 4 pipes, tobacco, pipes cleaners and stuff needed for a week.

My line of work often has me leaving at a moment's notice and not returning for a few days and up to a week.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 7 months ago #
  9. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless imperiled by a nearby nuclear reactor, I wonder what utility such preparations can be, which is not to say that there never will be, but that the quiet life most of us live in the US does not give me sufficient cause to be this prepared. Now in the Middle East with 15 conflicts going on at any one time, yes. Food shortages, yes. Dire consequences from global climate change, yes. Anything could happen but it hasn't happened to me, nor at this time do I reasonably foresee that it will.

And of course as I no longer smoke, pipe stuff is unnecessary.

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always an emergency pipe and tin of tobacco in the trunk of my car. Plus non-emergency pipes in the console and door pockets. Probably won't have to evacuate the area where I live due to fire or rain. Earthquakes, maybe. Hoardes crossing the border, no. Terrorists, unlikely. I am very lucky.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  11. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Oh, and I do keep an emergency pipe, sealed tin of Chelsea Morning, and a Bic in a drawer at work. Just in case

...my brother...

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, I never thought to include a pipe and tobacco in my emergency bags, or BoB or bug in bag, for the uninitiated. I always have pipes and tobacco with me, but it would totally make sense to have a backup. I am thinking a sealed tin and a Bones, or maybe something like a Falcon should be stowed away from now on. Thanks for the idea.

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I don't live too far away from all the people that had minutes, or less, to leave their homes in Paradise California before fires consumed their homes. This was not a case where people had hours to see the fire advance and could pack up their belongings and get out at a careful pace. Those that survived did so because they were lucky enough to wake up and leave with the clothes on their back. Many of those people are still living in temporary shelters and are lacking some basic necessities.

It's definitely made me aware of my lack of preparedness for something like that and I have every intention of immediately, (okay eventually, or probably, I mean maybe doing something about it) and when I do I'll definitely include a cob, a sealed tin, and a Bic.

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never was into that doom's day prep stuff. One reason may be that I live in Romania, country of Dracula, professional thieves and drunkards ... so yeah, either the apocalypse is going to forget about us or it's going to be over before we ever know what hit us.

I do keep a two pipe kit in my desk drawer, should the need arise to be absent from home a couple of days I like to know I am prepared.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A sturdy pipe in a vehicle and one or two in pockets of a coat or two you'd likely grab, maybe one or two stashed with family or relatives at some distance. I haven't done this, but do occasionally hide one in the car.

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to think that nothing could ever hurt me in my tiny little town... until we had a gas line explosion that made national news, a gas leak that saturated the woods in gasoline, and now a shooting that made headlines. I had no idea that I even had a gas line that ran down beside my farmland. I had no idea that there was anything here that could cause harm. You just never know.
    On the other hand, prepping for something sort of makes you anxious to use it. My wife and kids said that at the mall where the shooting was, that as soon as everyone started running away from the shots, there were hundreds of guys whipping out their guns and running towards the shots. It's one thing to be ready and reluctant... it's another to be ready and anxious.

Some of these preppers in rural Alabama are obviously rooting for apocalypse, by spending a fortune on building compounds and prepping. That scares the crap out of me more than anything that would cause an Apocalypse.

Posted 7 months ago #
  17. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a backpack with a tent, sleeping bag, backpacking stove and all my other gear that I keep in a closet. It's not a BoB, it's how I keep all my gear together. If I'm going backpacking or camping, I just grab the bag and I'm ready to go. I think I'll add a pipe and a tin...might as well.

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't prep for the apocalypse, in the interest of full disclosure. I live in a rural community and commute far to work. I prep for things like sliding off the road in the massive amounts of snow that we get and being able to camp out the night if it is that bad. A pipe is a pleasantry at that point, but if I have room in the bag after the necessities, why not? Prep for what you want to, but don't be a tool.

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in the least criminal nation on the planet. It made headlines when a foreign Sea Shepherd supporter, who was here to protest something, stole some toilet paper from a public lavatory
    So no doomsday prepping here.
    Whatever pipes and tobacco I fancy, I'll throw in the car before leaving for work. However I always keep a large hunting knife in the car, in case a school of whales gets driven ashore. You need to take part in the slaughter to get a share.

Posted 7 months ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you get to keep some whale bone for your scrimshaw collection? I try to keep a handful of pipes and a couple of tobaccos in the car, along with an extreme emergency standby pipe and tin in the trunk for when I've forgotten to reload the usual.

Be prepared, that's the Boy Scouts' marching song,
    Be prepared, as through life you march along
    Be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well;
    Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell....
    ~ Tom Lehrer, ca 1960

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If there is a situation where I truly need a BoB, I won't be worrying about a pipe and tobacco and would have other much higher priorities.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in the least criminal nation on the planet.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but rumor has it word has reached Sauron of the Ring being in the Shire.

Orcs are headed your way.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 7 months ago #
  23. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've watched various "prepper" shows and read a few articles. They all lead me to the conclusion that a large percentage of these people are nuts.

That being said, being prepared for a disaster is a good thing. (Zombie apocalypse, not so much.) I keep a locker in my Jeep, not as a BoB, but in case I have a mechanical failure and have to send the night out on the trail. A tent, basic med supplies, supplies to stay dry, stay warm, have a fire, and a few cans of corned beef hash, and a bottle of Scotch is all it really is. Coffee and a small percolator too, but that's another thread. I'll be adding a pipe and sealed tin to it now.

I also have a backpack that I take for day hikes at the ready as well as 2 firearms, a .38 revolver and a .22lr rifle. The revolver is actually for self defense in the event of a break-in at the house and for both 2 legged and 4 legged predators on the trail. The rifle is a Henry AR-7 with 200 rounds of ammo (4 x 50 round boxes). The whole rifle breaks down and fits into the stock which is then capable of floating if need be.

In the event of a home fire, it's family first, pets second, emergency kit third. The emergency kit is just an encrypted flash drive with personal data, some cash, and a spare credit card.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate to be the one to tell you, but rumor has it word has reached Sauron of the Ring being in the Shire.

Orcs are headed your way.

I don't have a bug out bag, but I've considered putting one together. I'm certainly not paranoid, and I'm certainly not a "survivalist." But one can never be too careful, or prepared just in case. We tend to think nothing is going to happen to me, nothing is going to happen here. We live in the most powerful nation on earth... we're safe. I'm sure most Americans felt that way on September 10, 2001. The following morning we had one hell of a wake up call. All these years later we're still feeling it's effects in one way or another. It's when we think, "It will never happen to us," when terrible things tend to happen. I'm not going to worry. I'm not going to stress. But I think I will get some things together "just in case." A few canned goods, can opener, small pan for cooking, first aid kit, Zippo lighter with fuel, flints, and wicks, a couple good knives, a couple changes of clothes, some paracord, a wide brim collapsible hat, and a couple firearms will likely be in my kit. I will, of course make room for a few tins and a couple pipes. If my life goes to hell, I'd like at least some kind of comfort.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 7 months ago #
  25. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm totally unprepared for anything. Nope, don't have any guns, ammo, food stores or tobacco cellar. That whole 911 thing? Where much of the east coast shut down for several days? A fluke. Can't ever happen again. Nope, don't come a knockin' when the balloon goes up. I got nothing.

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

Tim
    Posted 7 months ago #
  27. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I won't be worrying about a pipe and tobacco and would have other much higher priorities
    You would be amazed what a little comfort does for the soul in an emergency. Like I said, not a priority, but with a little spare room, why not?

Posted 7 months ago #
  28. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You would be amazed what a little comfort does for the soul in an emergency. Like I said, not a priority, but with a little spare room, why not?

If it is a true emergency that actually requires using a bug out bag, there is no spare room. I agree with you sentiment but not with the likely reality were such a situation to come up. If something that serious does occur, I'm more likely to pull out some guns, load up my pipe and start puffing away in order that I may enjoy my remaining time on the planet and perhaps take a few scumbags with me before I go.

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm more likely to pull out some guns, load up my pipe and start puffing away in order that I may enjoy my remaining time on the planet and perhaps take a few scumbags with me before I go.

If that time comes, I'm definitely not going quietly or easily. I'll smoke more than my pipe.

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

If it is a true emergency that actually requires using a bug out bag, there is no spare room.

I don't follow your logic here. A pipe and a tin of tobacco takes up effectively no volume in the context of a big backpack. If this were true, it would contradict the fact that every special forces member I've ever worked with somehow magically finds room for a couple cans of dip in amongst their ammo and medical supplies.

I'd say in a true emergency, there's no spare time. i.e. in a true emergency you wouldn't have time to grab a pipe on your way out. But after said emergency has passed, you might wish you had stowed the makings of a smoke before you had to hightail it.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 7 months ago #
  31. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

I can honestly say that once your in that position, You don't give a shit about any of you posessions, tobacco, etc.. When Harvey hit. The water started to enter the house at midnight. By 3 am there was a foot. By 4 am there was 3 foot. My doggos and family floated on a mattress until it got light enough to see. 3 hours of floating on a mattress in pitch blackness makes you re-evaluate. at 6 am family was in attic, I was standing in 5 ft of water when the boats finally came. My beer cellar, possessions. just didn't matter... My dogs did LOVE the ride out on the Zodiak!

at the end the water reached 5 1/2 feet inside my house. and im 6 feet above the street.

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I know that little things can really make a huge difference in times of trouble. Sanity in an insane situation.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 7 months ago #
  33. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hundreds of guys whipping out their guns and running towards the shots

Yeah. I mean, seriously, That Is Just Stupid. You knooowww that most of those guys are useless posers don't know jack-spit about correct response to an active-shooter situation. To them it's just guns blazing, lay down a barrage, & believe everything comes out right. It's no wonder actual first-responders don't want those idjits anywhere within 100 miles of them. }:(

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  34. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can honestly say that once your in that position, You don't give a shit about any of you posessions, tobacco, etc..
    I can honestly say that once your I am in that position, You I don't give a shit about any of you my posessions, tobacco, etc..

Posted 7 months ago #
  35. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I don't like when people speak for me from their personal experience, so I fixed that.

Posted 7 months ago #
  36. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I don't know about doomsday and I would bet no one else here does either but I can speak for the sand box and that's as close I hope I ever get again

Posted 7 months ago #
  37. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I don't know about doomsday and I would bet no one else here does either but I can speak for the sand box and that's as close I hope I ever get again

Posted 7 months ago #
  38. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

Just from my experience, it's good to be prepared, but the most important tool you'll ever own is your wits. Make sure you keep them handy. I first left home when I was 15, rambling around on foot, hitch-hiking and riding freight trains all over America. I spent a lot of time in the woods and slept outside almost every night. Of course I did end up getting adopted by college girls, for a few nights, here and there, but I was pretty much outdoors 24/7 for about 8 or 9 years until I settled down (if you can call living in 6 different places in 5 years settled).

But anyway, as I criss-crossed the country several dozen times with my German Shepherd pup and everything I owned in my backpack, I learned a lot about what to carry when the weight of your belongings are always on your shoulders. I'll try to get it down correctly, but it's hard to make these kind of lists on the spot, as I'm always forgetting, remembering, and rearranging in my mind.

These are, in my opinion, and in order of importance, all quite necessary:

Waterproof Boots,
    Socks (preferably wool),
    Fire starting kit,
    Sleeping bag (rated for 15F or lower),
    Knife (preferably fixed blade),
    More socks,
    Tough pants/jeans and Jacket,
    Rain poncho,
    Wool sweater,
    Long underwear (top and bottom),
    Short underwear (top and bottom),
    Tarp,
    Fishing line and hooks,
    More socks,
    Water,
    Food,
    Coffee,
    Stainless steel cooking pot,
    Tobacco,
    Something to smoke tobacco in,
    Socks,
    Socks,
    Socks,
    Salt,
    Pepper,
    Socks.

I may need to revise this later but as far as I remember now, that's all you really need. OF COURSE, if we're talking real-life doomsday situation when laws are no longer enforced, or if you're out in the woods away from civilization, you will also definitely want a rifle and ammunition. I found in my experience that when people see a scruffy looking guy walking down the highway with a gun on his back they generally call the police.

Posted 7 months ago #
  39. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

But in any subject of speculation, I often find that when you take the future too seriously, you're liable to lose track of the present. If we aren't careful, we can end up missing out on what's real in preparation for the imaginary.

Posted 7 months ago #
  40. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

So yeah, I don't really think about doomsday, haha. There's enough to deal with "to"day.

Posted 7 months ago #
  41. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Okey Dokey Crash, Didn't mean to offend.

Maybe you would value material things more than me. Your are correct Sir, I should not have spoken for you.

I apologize.

Posted 7 months ago #
  42. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I was in that position when Hurricane Michael was heading for me. Loaded up the important papers, some clothes and all the McClelland bulk and tins that I owned put them in a large tub with garbage bags around them (3 layers to keep any water out), several bespoke pipes and meers which I put it all in the back of my truck and got the hell out of Florida as fast as I could. Wife and puppy with me and headed to Kentucky to relatives houses until it was over. Didn't figure my home would be there when I got back. Lord put His angels around my property (I prayed for that) and when I got back...only the tree I wanted gone was gone everything else intact.
    Why the McClellands stash? Because today, it is money in the bank (so to speak).

Posted 7 months ago #
  43. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I figure a hand axe will be enough to get what I need from the preppers.

Posted 7 months ago #
  44. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Glad you got out Pepe! We weren't given that opportunity.. They opened the dam at 11:00 pm and told no one..... If I had the chance yes , of course I would have grabbed stuff.. but as it was, AND I DONT SPEAK FOR ANYONE... Material possessions. didn't matter.

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

Good thing I'm a Rambo wannabe...

I had my BOB ready in my car today.. and it's a good thing. Took me 5 hours to get 30 miles from work to my house with half the highway disintegrated.

We had a strong earthquake today, and I was lucky to get home this afternoon. Those who waited are still trying to get home. Some are waiting overnight in their cars and trucks.

I had a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, some Snickers bars, water purification tablets, a firearm, and a 3 pouches of 5 brothers with my MM country gentleman.

I was content, and with the real possibility of walking the 30 miles home through mountainous terrain, I was ready and comfortable.

Several others after me are suffering a wait with little to no gas, no food, and no water (worst of all, no pipe and tobacco).

Call me a Rambo wannabe if you want, but I call myself "prepared"

Posted 7 months ago #
  46. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

And Internet.. Glad you are safe my friend!

Posted 7 months ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

I literally run the internet in my area. If i have power, and either the undersea fiber is intact or the satellites have synch, I have internet.

Posted 7 months ago #
  48. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think that preppers are pretty harmless, overall. They tend to keep to themselves and hoard stuff. I look to building up an emergency relief setup, but mostly for around the house. A couple generators, 100 gallons of water, food for a good while, etc. I have a family of 4 with dogs and the boys are teens.

In the Army I had a bugout bag. I left on short notice a couple times. A lot of times that trait is left over from one's time in the military and doesn't really make them kooks or crazy.

Though I intend to shelter in place should the SHTF, I can't really call people out for wanting to go mobile.

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

^^^

The above post was pithy and arrogant on my part. I apologize for that.

While I am a Network Engineer for an ISP, it is not "my" internet. I am proud that "our" internet has stayed intact for the most part. It is intact at least enough not to need my attention tonight, and I am tying one on so to speak. There are several infrastructure failures up here, and that the internet is still working is somewhat surprising to me (and I know just how robust, or NOT robust it really is).

Truth be told, I'm drunk, and acting out a little on the first couple posts in this thread that accused those of us with a Bug Out Bag as being Rambo wannabees. I found that offensive. It was incredibly coincidental that we had a natural disaster today in which being prepared was the difference between comfort and discomfort.

Perhaps someday, under different circumstances, it could be the difference between comfort, and something approaching life or death.

Posted 7 months ago #
  50. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

What ya drinking Loadclear?

Posted 7 months ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

What I have onhand, which is boxes of Bota Box "Old Vine Zinfandel"

All stores are closed, so boxes of wine are what I happen to have... It's OK!

Posted 7 months ago #
  52. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

LOL bet the wife is pissed.

Posted 7 months ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

Naw, she's just happy I was able to pick her up tonight... Her work was evacuated, and she didn't have a car.

I picked her up and took her home. She's wrapped around my finger right now--- even if I'm drinking her booze lol!

Posted 7 months ago #
  54. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

ummm.. that's kinda Douchetastic.

Posted 7 months ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

^^^ WTF?

Posted 7 months ago #
  56. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I have a carry pouch that is always loaded and ready to go that I take with me to work. It will hold 3 or 4 pipes, quite a bit of tobacco and all of my tools. That would be easy to grab on the run.

Nate
    Posted 7 months ago #
  57. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

I have to agree that building a bunker and stashing 200lbs of food per person per day sounds a bit nuts until something actually happens where you need said bunker and food. I worked in the EMS field a bit in my younger days and that is where I learned to have several bags depending on location, time of year, and the situation you do not anticipate. I can tell you that from snow storms, hurricanes, fires, and even a power outage, you should do some research and be prepared. It is not about the doomsday scenario, it is maybe being stuck on the highway during a closure. You will not die, but a few items can make a 4 hour wait a bit more comfortable. Therefore, thank you pianopuffer for bringing this up. I have a small duffel bag with items for a winter emergency in my truck and today I will add a MM cob and a tin of Pirate Kake (my favorite for now).

Stay smoky my friends!

Posted 7 months ago #
  58. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

Phew! This is obviously one of those topics that folks tend to take very seriously.

I'd personally like to hope that if the apocalypse happened, those who prepared for themselves would be prepared to share with those who didn't. After reading this thread, I'm forced to admit that it's just wishful thinking. For my part, at least, If any one of you guys stumble across my campfire, post-apocalypse or not, I'll share my stash of baccy with ya.

Posted 7 months ago #
  59. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I don't do that much except keep food and a couple of weeks worth of water on hand. Important docs are safe. Other preparations aren't really anyone else's concern. But having gone through a number of earthquakes, stocks of food, water, etc, kept on hand and rotate through isn't a bad idea.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 7 months ago #
  60. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah Dethmutt, it's just me and my materialistic ways. No one else has ever been happy to have saved a possession from a catastrophe before. Except materialistic jerks.

Posted 7 months ago #
  61. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't need any emergency preparations.....
    .....until you do.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  62. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

I keep two bags packed with basic survival gear. I actually carry one or both with me on trips just in case. They're not stocked up as some people keep them and a pipe is not in them atm though I have some extra cobs I might throw one of them with a tin of tobacco in there now. But if I had to move, I could easily sling them over my shoulder, grab my rifle next to them and move out.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 7 months ago #
  63. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

When it happens Crash, you might not get the choice. at least I didn't.

I hope no one else has to go through it.

Fist bump. Happy puffing!

Posted 7 months ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

Is it possible to ignore a poster?

Posted 7 months ago #
  65. eaglewriter1

eaglewriter1

Login to Send PM

My personal Doomsday Plan consists of a Balcony with a good view , an jet unsmoked Amber stemmed Pipe from 1890, a Tin of Frog Morton and a Bottle of 1950 cask strength Cognac.

Posted 7 months ago #
  66. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

When I read the original post - I just Knew it would generate the kind of response it did.

I do a lot of backcountry outdoors activities including hiking, fishing, and hunting. I’m also involved in a Search & Rescue. So the equipment I have is also very useful for situations like power outages and other circumstances when normal utilities aren’t online. We live out in rural farm country. Long time friends and family also live in the area. If some kind of greater emergency happened we likely wouldn’t be ‘bugging out’. Our combined resources and talents are all right here. Why go somewhere else ?

As for throwing a pipe or two and a couple of tins in your pack - Why not ?

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 7 months ago #
  67. retreadpipeapprentice

retreadpipeapprentice

Login to Send PM

Old school kind of guy here, as for a bug out bag...yes I have one but its mostly important documents. If the Zombie apocalypse comes around or people start throwing nukes around I am of the mind I will live or die on my wits and skills.
    However I do plan to do it with a pipe clenched tightly between my teeth, be it empty or full. (would prefer full as I think in that kind of situation it would add to the general ambiance! and the nicotine would take the edge off it just a bit!)

Posted 7 months ago #
  68. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GeorgeBMcC, that was the most useful post in this entire thread. What a phenomenal experience you created for yourself there. Having done a good bit of backcountry hiking and canoeing, I concur on the socks. When it's been raining for seven days, and the temperature keeps dropping, the thought of having a dry pair of socks in your pack is the only thing that keeps you moving sometimes. Of course, I had the luxury of taking weeks in preparing for a trip, vacuum sealing socks and underwear. Being on the road 24/7 is a totally different deal. Oh, and +100 on the tarp. A good tarp, and the experience/creativity to put it up quickly in any location, is priceless.

I wish. Just ignore them. That's what their mother did.

Posted 7 months ago #
  69. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha... obviously some require medication.

Posted 7 months ago #
  70. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

Thanks, woodsroad, 'preciate your kind words!

Dry socks are everything. Whenever I pack my bag, I always make sure to put a bunch of socks, underwear, and usually a long sleeved thermal shirt inside a heavy duty waterproof trash bag. (Vacuum sealing them is a great idea! I'd never thought of that, it probably saves a ton of space and is guaranteed to keep out the damp.)

And yeah, there's an endless amount of uses for a nice thick 8'x12', 10'x16', or 10'x20' tarp. They are amazing. I usually tried to carry two of 'em, one for a floor and one for a roof.

Posted 7 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, ben88, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, chasingembers, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar