PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I know several forum members have Doodler pipes. This one is my second one which I just finished doing a refurb on tonight. For a big pipe it feels pretty good in the hand and is comfortable to clench.
doodler01_zps828955f1.jpg

doodler02_zps201321ce.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tuold:
That "Mincer's Folly" you just brought back from the dead is another example of your Ninja resto skills. You're as good as many of the seasoned pros on this forum.
The Doodler is a dichotomy. Yep, they burn cooler - or at least mine do - but that "cooler" design also has a built in flaw: they're much more prone to cracking because they're not a full briar.
Smoke yours slowly and it might last for a gazillion years. But don't be surprised if it doesn't and what you have left becomes a rack queen.
Fnord
P.S. For some odd reason that star logo on the stem is more highly prized by collectors and I don't know why.

F.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks Fnord, I think I will keep that Doodler on the sidelines for now. It's going to sit right next to my Doodler Jr. for awhile.
Speaking of stars, my next project is a three star "Pipe by Lee". I'll search for what that little thing is all about and work on it tomorrow.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Amazing! Who would have thought that a rotary dial phone and pipe combination would ever catch on - its almost as exciting as the shoe phone from 'Get Smart'!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
What may be more amazing is the amount of money people were willing to pay for this when it first came out. From a pipe history point of view, The Doodler has an interesting story and pedigree. The one I have here was made by the National Briar Pipe Company around 1963 for Tracy Mincer just before he died.
It's also interesting that people thought this design looked "space-age" or modern. Same thing for the Medico Jet Stream pipes. They look bulky and clunky today, but sent a different message back in the day. These old pipes are magical to me. They are like time machines you can hold in your hands.
I think it looks more like a shower head than a rotary phone, though. :)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yep your right it does look like a shower head. I can see why people get into collecting the things. I assume the holes are to assist in cooling the pipe. How heavy is the pipe when clenched?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@condorlover1,
I assume the holes are to assist in cooling the pipe.
That was the theory, but it lead to other problems with uneven heating and structural weakness which Tracy Mincer was not able to overcome.
This pipe weighs in at just over an ounce. Not bad considering it's six inches long. The bowl diameter from rim to rim is one inch. The bent shape and ample curved stem make it very comfortable to clench.
Here's another forum members post about his The Doodler restoration: Doodler Resto Post
Lots of interesting background to be found there as well.
I'm still trying to get one of Mincer's Custombilt pipes on ebay but the bidding always goes beyond my budget. This pipe was had for $11.50. I would have paid up to $20.00 .

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
+1 fnord
The Doodler is a dichotomy. Yep, they burn cooler - or at least mine do - but that "cooler" design also has a built in flaw: they're much more prone to cracking because they're not a full briar.
Smoke yours slowly and it might last for a gazillion years. But don't be surprised if it doesn't and what you have left becomes a rack queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.