PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Generally I am a reader but also enjoy TV from time to time. Got hooked on an A&E weekly series called The Glades. Good plot, wiseacre lead actor, terrific locations (Florida) and solid writing. Incredibly good "cliffhanger" at the end of the season. RESULT. After four seasons, A&E cancels the program. No end, no resolution, customer be damned.
Has this happened to you?

Jan 8, 2013
Too many dang times to count. I've discovered if the show is well written, well acted, and just an all around great show... it will likely be canceled. If it's another cheesy unoriginal reality show... it will be on the air for another 10 freaking seasons.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Being a full time actor I can tell you that the industry is not the same, nor do they know what they want. It seems like everything that has potential gets snatched off the air for no reason, but at the end of the day you have all these mindless shows going strong. That is just a reflection of our society. :crazy:

Dec 24, 2012
I agree - this frustrates the shit out of me. Frankly, though, there are some pretty good shows that I routinely watch. Here are the ones I follow:
1. Justified

2. Person of Interest

3. Game of Thrones

4. Breaking Bad

5. Banshee

6. Blue Bloods

7. Strike Back

8. Sons of Anarchy

9. Longmire

10. Hell on Wheels

11. Boardwalk Empire
In fairness, I can't ever recall a time in my life that there were 11 shows on like this that I felt were worth watching, so in my view, things may not be as bad as they seem.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
+100 Peck I think what has changed is the network channels that back in the 70's and 80's carried all the good shows like ABC, NBC, are showing crappy reality shows and the new networks like AMC and FX are now producing really good TV with excellent plots and writing. In fact we only have Satellite TV now just for most of the shows on Pecks list. The only one that I think for me he is missing is Mad Men which I still watch and I think was the first of the pack that created this new era of television. I say we are in a golden era of thinking peoples television we just have to pay for cable networks to watch them. I think this is a good trade off considering the drivel is still on the free channels.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
No, but was addicted to "24" & missed the last show. & for a year afterwards, you couldn't find it "Online" anywhere. Was a great show.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The problem is the mindless stuff sells because it is mindless and narcissistic. I blame reality TV for making our nation dumber and even more vain because it is interesting to see these people's "lives" and because the programs are cheap to produce compared to something well written and acted. Thanks Duck Dynasty and the Kadashians. The only shows I watch (besides sports, which occupy most of my TV viewing) are: Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound & Down (all HBO), Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, Archer and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia (all FX). Anything else I watch on my TV are movies or old TV shows.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
+1 cmdrmcbragg. I get so tired of mindless shows. I've been waiting for something to come along for a long time that I can get into. Really have not watched alot of TV since Home Improvement and Wings went off the air. Then along comes Walking Dead. Sleepy Hollow still may have some potential. and the new Dracula looks really good too.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
In addition to some of the lists, Downton Abbey, Homeland, The Good Wife, just to mention a few.
Actually, I think tv has never been better (removing all of the reality shows, of course)

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Terry,I feel your pain.

I watched every episode of Copper only to have the series cancelled after the second season with the show ending in a cliffhanger. :evil:

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
Southland was a good show but was recently canceled. I just caught up on Homeland and enjoy the shows by watching several hours when I have nothing better to do. Currently I am enjoying Elementary & Blue Bloods. Hmmm, there is a theme I see.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The Breakfast Club
As The Criminal carefully crawls through the suspended ceiling he tells himself a joke: "A naked lady walks into a bar, with a poodle under one arm and a salami under the other. The bartender says: 'I don't suppose you'll be having a drink.' And the lady says"...... (as he falls through the ceiling) :evil:
I want to know the punch line!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would have liked to have seen a conclusion to "The 4400" or "Heroes", and of course, another season of HBO's "Carnivale" would have been nice.

rault

Lurker
Oct 15, 2013
I was really disappointed with the cancellation of both Deadwood and Carnivale.
Here are some of the shows I currently watch (shows are not listed in order of importance).
1. Boardwalk Empire

2. Game of Thrones

3. Walking Dead

3. Sons of Anarchy

4. Homeland

5. The Blacklist
Here are some shows that are done but are worth watching.(shows are not listed in order of importance)
1. The Shield

2. Deadwood

3. Breaking bad

4. Rescue Me
RT

Status
Not open for further replies.