Don't let Erinmore Flake age too long...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2014
Taking a break from the ropes tonight I cracked open a tin of Erinmore Flake I bought about 12 years ago. Upon opening it was a marvelous sight. Sugar crystals all over the top and the seal had held up. Moisture just right. With building excitement I busted up some flakes and loaded up the clay..

It took to flame straight away and I was off! Wait..wtf..where is the "taste"? Where is my juicy fruit smoke?
Damn. It's gone.
All I'm left with is a wonderfully smooth, bite free VaBur. While this is by all tastes a top notch smoke, I was really looking forward to the juicy fruit..
Moral of the story:
If you're a fan of "The Taste" don't let this one sit in the cellar to long. Conversely if your not, bury a half dozen tins in your cellar and forget about them, it ages out to be a really smooth VaBur. The VA really shines, nice & sweet, and the Burley plays a perfect supporting role rounding out the smoke giving good body..
Enjoy!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a Murray's tin from about 15 years ago and the fruity flavor is very muted. But it's a smooth British-style flake.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Smoking this right now. It's fantastic. The new stuff burns my mouth -- as do a lot of STG flakes.

Oct 12, 2014
Yes Murray's.
"The new stuff burns my mouth" ------That sucks. I liked this one as an occasional treat.
I suppose the Mixture is really bad then correct?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Never had the mixture. Am i correct in thinking the tobaccos are slightly different from the Flake?

Oct 12, 2014
I guess its the flake with some black cav thrown in and the flavor turned up. I've never tried it either. I've heard it had too much of "the taste" But thats what I'm after!
Has anyone had the new mixture?

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I find that a lot of "scented" type flakes lose the scent over time. I learned the hard way when I got some Bosun Cut Plug and aged it for about a year just to go back and find it almost entirely flavorless :/

Status
Not open for further replies.