PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
So, I'm still very new in this community (pipe smoking in general). So, I applied my general life prospective to this hobby: take it easy and be open minded. So, thats what I tried to do. I bought several 1 ounce bags of tobacco and give every element of the tobaccos a variable.
For instance, i gave each type of tobacco a variable (or letter representation). Virginia's, carolina's, burley, etc. Within each of those I tried to break them down as far as I noticed each brand doing (orange virginia, lemon viginia, dark burley etc). I did the same with the types of cure and cut.
Cavendish has been the most difficult for me to pin point because from what I can tell it is a "style" or "cut" rather than a tobacco specifically. However, I notice several blends that just tell me its a "black cavendish."
Taking all that information in, I am able to deduce the following: I REALLY like Virginias and Carolinas. More specifically, lemon and orange virginias. To be as specific as possible: I absolutely LOVE the McCllelands Walnut Liqueur no 705. Funny thing, I judged it prematurely by its 'cover.' I didnt think I would like it because the other blends I had tried that had "highlights" (dark and light mixed) tobaccos I didnt care for. However, after I started analyzing the ingredients, I found that the 'highlights' I hadnt been liking was Burley.
In closing: read more of the label than just "walnut." I know, rookie mistake! Test everything you can and make note of whats in it...not what flavor it is. In the end, the taste comes from what kind of tobacco it is, and only mildly from the case or topping.
Here is an animated view of receiving the package and judging the book by its cover...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19RiULmn-A
Here is the video of me eating crow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXkOsOPYSQ4

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey kcpoe,

The questions about different tobacco types are typical for the new pipe smoker.

Doing a basic Wikipedia search on the different tobacco types was of tremendous help to me when trying to figure out the how-to's and why-for's of pipe tobacco.
As for nailing down cavendish... "that ain't easy"...

Cavendish isn't a type of tobacco.... it's a reference to a method (usually proprietary to the mfg.) of curing said tobacco.

Some methods, include steam, heat, pressing, and others.

(I know this is going to get some reaction)

I suppose since Latakia is actually an Aromatic tobacco, an argument could be made for its being a type of cavendish as well... Since Latakia is tobacco that is smoke cured.....

OK... Let the acrimony begin. :D
:puffy:

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
After three years, I'm a total noob at this hobby. You've done a great work finding what works for you! Continue to take it easy and be open-minded, and your rewards will be great!!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Lawrence wrote:

Doing a basic Wikipedia search on the different tobacco types was of tremendous help to me when trying to figure out the how-to's and why-for's of pipe tobacco.

Cavendish isn't a type of tobacco.... it's a reference to a method (usually proprietary to the mfg.) of curing said tobacco.

Some methods, include steam, heat, pressing, and others.
Great advice Lawrence and you are right on concerning Cavendish tobacco.
@kcpoe,

There's lots to enjoy in this hobby, you've come to the right place. Welcome aboard.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
In reference to the wiki search, I did that immediately after seeing "lemon and orange virginias." I think there is enough infromation regarding tobacco and the way its processed, cured, and the location it is grown to keep me busy for a while.
In the end, I'm curious once I find a blend I like how is the best way to go about finding similar tobacco blends with different casing / top notes? I really like the blend in the McCllelands 705 walnut, how would I find blends that are similar, just varying a little bit?
The only way i have found is by just clicking away at each name and reading the description. While it is effective, it seems like a slow process. However, I could just smoke a pipe while I'm readin about tobacco!

Status
Not open for further replies.