PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My solution this a.m. came in a flash of brilliance subdued by a paucity of class.

I cut one cup out from a heavy cardboard egg carton and put it in the middle of my 6" glass ashtray.

I may have to get a patent for this beauty. If I glue it, it will support pipes around the perimeter.

Hey, it works!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah, you're right- a little low on the aesthetics scale! But very practical. I almost always use the flat part of my palm and if that doesn't do it, a pipe tool to loosen the remains, be it dottle or just ash that sticks.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
jpmcwjr, yeah, that's what I've been doing too. This is in beta. It might reduce the number of tissues or towels I use to wipe my hands. I think gluing it will make it more effective, but it works as is.

I've got the makings for at least 11 more. Maybe I'll think of a way to cover, fill and finish em off with something and they'll do the job. I know that I won't but I'll think about it, anyway.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
How many shanks have you snapped, caveman warren?

Come to think of it, warren, that's exactly how Gramp used to empty his dottle.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Those little cork knockers are three bucks each so this looks like a bargain replacement. Mine usually end up catching on fire and being reduced to a charred, black nub. I would think the egg carton might also burn.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Here's my Cajun Knocker!

palictyton

Lurker
Feb 28, 2016
Necessity has always been the mother of invention. Keep the ingenuity flowing no matter how mundane the tasks. Each little victory will keep us all moving forward, even by just a little. And many times that's all the inspiration we need to make it through another day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The egg carton sounds like it works. I like the idea of a cork, especially a rounded champagne cork. But mostly I smoke a bowl down then scoop it out afterwards, don't build cake, just leave a residual carbon layer that never requires reaming. I know this isn't the classic approach, but several of the old timers on Forums do the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.