mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Our greatest generation ;-)
Baseball bat: $29.99

Gun on black-market: $49.99

Loot goal trying to rob an old folks local internet cafe: $1,000
Getting chased by a 71 year old who just happened to have a concealed handgun license: priceless
http://gma.yahoo.com/florida-man-71-shoots-alleged-robbers-internet-cafe-110406403--abc-news-topstories.html

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Yes yes... let the 19 year olds who threatend everyone's lives in that cafe over some cash get out on bail.
Thanks.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Awesome, another one for the good guys. The wife still asks me why I have my gun on every time I leave the house... because of scumbags like this.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great story...I saw this yesterday. I find it very interesting to compare the wording used in the ABC article to that in the British Daily Mail. The MSM hates to portray an armed citizen as a good thing. ABC quite intentionally, imo, refers to the armed thugs as "teens"...which is technically accurate since they were both 19. But, imo, this term, in the particular context they use it, is chosen very carefully and intentionally to create a certain perception. When one hears or reads "teen", you usually think "minor".
Compare and contrast the following wording...in both cases, it is how the articles start out, which is often the only part many people read:
ABC:
Florida Man, 71, Shoots at Alleged Robbers at Internet Cafe
Two teens were shot and injured by a 71-year-old central Florida man who refused to stand by while the young men allegedly tried to rob an Internet cafe.
Daily Mail:
A 71-year old man thwarted a robbery at a Florida internet cafe on Friday when he shot two would-be assailants and the entire ordeal was captured on security tape.
The two robbers burst through the doors of the Palms Internet Cafe in Ocala and ordered everyone to get down as they waved a handgun at dozens of customers.
But they didn't expect Samuel Williams to pull out his own weapon and fire, injuring both of the criminals and saving the lives of his fellow Floridians.
EDIT: Ahh, but then again, it's probably just my imagination...and my conspiritorial mind. :wink:
Link to DM article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175170/Harrowing-moment-elderly-internet-cafe-goer-guns-robbers-chases-door.html

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I especially love this sentence a little further on in the ABC article:
"Officials said it is unlikely that Williams will be charged with a crime for attacking the teens because the shooting seemed justifiable."
Again, maybe it's just me, but the phrase "attacking the teens" (instead of "defending himself and everyone else") seems like a very deliberate attempt to cast him in the role of the aggressor and them as the victims.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
The video clearly shows two excited old-children running into the Internet store from a neighborhood pick-up game to check their mail-tubes and twitter their angry birds and the only reason they were shot at was because they didn't want to leave their sporting equipment outside because they had heard that there were robbers around...
So should I apply for a job at NBC or go into criminal defense?
Seriously though, Samuel Williams should be on t-shirts and on posters on kids bedroom walls. I commend his courage and preparedness.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Brian: I think I've become impervious to the media spin. I read the story and form my own opinion. But very nice analysis there ! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.