PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Got to work this morning after enjoying a bowl of 1Q on the way in and as always heading in I dropped my Peterson Tankard into my coat pocket. I was immediately put to work doing up a report on a failed chain fall over the weekend and after doing my investigation in the Fab shop I jumped into my truck and heading back up to my office. I emptied my pockets in the office to find 3/4 of an inch of the stem broken off my tankard!!! :crying:

Back to the rear shop and a little grinding, a little sanding, and a few tears and I now have a Peterson Tankard Nosewarmer. Tonight I'll finish polishing the stem with some micromesh.

9E8E4142-940C-43AC-806D-A9468A9D02F8_zps1uwdyogr.jpg

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
That's a sad story, but that new Pete nosewarmer looks pretty sharp! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, eh?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The only problem now it the stem air hole at the button is really big. I'm hoping that by soaking it in boiling water I can soften the stem a little and maybe squeeze it down a little and make the hole narrower. Any pipe restorers got any ideas if that doesn't work?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think pipes carried around, whether for travel or just around town, ought to be less valuable if not

less liked. Pipes travel better in a breast pocket with a flap, like in a denim jacket or inside pocket on

a sports or suit jacket, or coat. A trousers pocket is going to get bent or sat on, one way or another.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Hasn't led me astray as of yet
My problem isn't being led astray, but my pocket becomes an ashtray. Nothing like finding a bunch of ash in your jacket pocket after putting away a half-smoked pipe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I also like the "new look". It might even serve as a better pocket pipe now.
I have a so called "Opera Pipe" in my collection that Web sources say was made to carry in a vest pocket. It shows a bit of wear to support that information. It's sort of a flattened pick axe shape. I don't wear vests too often these days so there's no danger I'm going to break it carrying it around.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Lol I used a dremel with the sanding drum, a shaping cone, sandpaper, extra fine sanding mesh. Wasn't that hard to do.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
You did a great job in its restoration. Good for you!
I find that its just best to put my pipes in a small leather pouch that holds the pipe, some cleaners, tool and some tobacco.
It's just safer that way.
My 2 cents

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I love the pipe shape and this coming from a man that rarely has anything useful to say about non-meerschaum pipes. Can you please PM me the measurements as I have to get one carved in that size and shape in meerschaum. I am serious that is just inspired my friend. As an after thought I have leather pockets as I have a habit of burning out my pockets by putting pipes that have not quite gone out yet! Anyway I hope it smokes well for you after the retro-refit!

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Nice work on the fix. I never tried it, but I would think you could heat up the tip and put a little squeeze on it to narrow the hole a bit. I use a heat gun when playing with bending or straightening stems.
It only took me two times snapping a stem on the same pipe before I went to the lathe and turned a cigar shaped pipe to carry in my pocket.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I just use a mm legend as my pocket pipe, even if it breaks... It's $4 and the stem is 50 cents... I'll probably switch to a Morgan MM for my pocket pipe as I love it more, but the one I have is natural and you don't wanna crush those, makes e'm all shaped weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.