PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docturknowles

Lurker
Jul 25, 2012
So, I am fairly new to pipe smoking. Started last year, but put it away for the winter. I've picked up a few different tobacco blends to see what tickles my fancy (just got some Celtic Talisman and Escudo Navy Deluxe in) but I, in no way shape or form, care for Dunhill's Early Morning Blend or Nightcap.
I have a can of each.
Edit: Removed offer. Please use Briarbid.com. L.

docturknowles

Lurker
Jul 25, 2012
I certainly appreciate the advice, but I'm going to let these ones go. I don't smoke often (I'm still working on the 8oz of 1Q I picked up last spring!) and would rather someone who appreciates these blends get the opportunity to enjoy them.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
My advice would be to hang on to the nightcap.
When I first tried it I was, like you, seriously underwhelmed. Just couldn't undestand what everyone was raving about...
I set the tin aside, chalking it up as money wasted. A couple of weeks later I got a craving... A memory of the flavour if you will...
Anyway, I ended up dedicating my Pete 06 to it & it is now my favourite smoke of the day (accompanied by a glass of whisky at the end of the working day).

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I like the Night Cap, but NOT EMP or 965. Just can't get a taste for either.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
You bought them and what you do with them is up to you but I've had the same thing happen with other blends that you've had happen to you and I was wrong. I picked them up later and thought I was nuts for thinking they sucked. Once you have gone through the natural progression from aros to English then VA based blends I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the transformation of your taste buds.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I bet it is. I can't stand latakia either. Luckily there are lots of great non-latakia tobaccos out there.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
When I first started I had a similar reaction to Peterson's Old Dublin,but I held on to it. I'm really glad I did, it is one of my favorties now!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I enjoyed EMP back a few years ago but then ended up trading away a recent tin because it just was not enjoyable to me. Tastes can change for the good and for the bad.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
i hated latakia when i first started smoking the pipe. But literally one day i decided to smoke a bowl and fell in love with it. Put it in a jar and try again in six months.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I like both EMP and Nitecap, but I had a similar reaction to Squadron Leader. It reminded me of an ashtray every time I smoked it. I really just wasn't a fan but I couldn't bring myself to throw out the tin I had. I tried it 3-4 times and it just never did anything for me. Until the last time I smoked it about a week ago. I finally picked up the "leather" smell/flavor everyone talks about. It's not up there with my favorites, but it definitely is enjoyable to me now.
That said, certain blends just aren't enjoyable by some people. EMP and Nightcap may never grow on you, so if you want to trade for something you DO like there is nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.