PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
My first bowl of May was a rough ride. It is about to storm here in grimy, old Pittsburgh, so I packed a bowl of Tsuge Raigin. 'The Thunder God'
This is only my third time smoking the Raigin and the first two smokes (a couple weeks apart) both felt kind of like losing a fight. haha Left me feeling like I had been kicked in the throat by a steel-toe, nicotine-soaked boot and left in the dirt with my head spinning and my tongue burning.
I have been trying to revisit it every so often as I gradually become more and more seasoned because it demands patience- Something I did not start out with in abundance as a new pipe smoker. Well, today I at least tamed it enough to see the other side of the tunnel.
There are some real flavours at work in the blend. Tobacco flavours, not additives. I also now understand the peppery spice of perique, where as I once mistook that for tongue-bite. I still cannot find any proof of the Latakia it claims to contain, but I don't feel like I miss it. The blend has plenty going on without Latakia. Lots of wood, sour to mildly sweet grassy notes. One could say I was enjoying myself for nearly half the bowl this time! And then I got greedy and started taking puffs in an effort to really dissect the smoke- "Game Over, Man" as the late, great Bill Paxton once put it. haha Found myself in the dirt once more.
I will take even my limited progress as a positive though and I refuse to waste this tobacco; Somewhere between those two points I will have an enjoyable bowl from this tin. I know there is one in there.
Anyone have any thoughts on this blend?
Cheers,

Justin

Mine all came very dry. It is D&R dry tobacco blended by some guy from Drew Estates, and sold with the Tsuge label on them. And, yeh, it is like having your throat ripped out. I am fairly sure that to enjoy this you need a shirt made of hair and to be well practiced in self flagellation. Or, at least a box of dirty razor blades and some emo CD's.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Well, it's now raining cats and dogs here in my part of Pittsburgh.
I've been distinctly underwhelmed by all of the Tsuge tobaccos except for First Days of Spring. However, they seal extraordinarily badly.
Smoke it up or throw it out (I'm generally compelled to finish open tins), don't feel bad not liking it. Very few people do.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Hmm, when I first bought it years ago I remember some moisture. The last two tins I purchased were crunchy.
What is D&R? This is Scandinavian Tobacco, under license from Drew Estate. At least according to the bottom of my tin.
Not arguing, by the way. Curious.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Ah. Thank you. Sometimes memory can play tricks, I suppose. I never remember this as being damp, but I don't remember it as crispy, either. Completely possible I'm wrong, particularly as you met the fellow first hand.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I am fairly sure that to enjoy this you need a shirt made of hair and to be well practiced in self flagellation. Or, at least a box of dirty razor blades and some emo CD's.
Hahaha!
Makes me feel better about this ordeal. I was going to give the Dragon one a try and see how I felt about it, but I believe you guys that the line just isn't great. I've quite the backlog of Latakia/English tins to get to as is. Gas Light, Balkan Blue, Black House etc. I'm really excited to tear into this tub of SPC Plum Pudding as well.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Not a latakia man by any stretch, but you have much more respected blends on deck. I've been really underwhelmed by the Tsuge tobaccos I've tried and am predisposed to like them.
If you don't mind my asking, what part of Pittsburgh are you from? I'm in Shadyside. Ever get over to Allegheny SmokeWorks in Blawnox? One of the few shops around here that seems to care that people smoke pipes.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Leave the tin open for a couple of days and come back to it.
This stuff is pretty prime as far as moisture. I got the tin open as a sample from my tobacconist and have no idea how long it had been open prior, but it's had a couple months on my shelf as well. I spent a bunch of money, so they hooked me up with a couple freebies. Also gave me Gatsby Luxury Flake and a fat bag of St Basil's Rasputin- The latter being the only one of the three I will be ordering(If I Can Find It..) The Gatsby was decent, just not my thing.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Allegheny Smokeworks is my usual shop, yes. I move to a different neighborhood usually every year. Gentrification chased me out of Lawrenceville most recently and now I am in Penn Hills/Oakmont. It's not as fun of a neighborhood, but the rent is right and I'm looking to save for a house. Paying rent just seems like a waste when you get into your 30s. haha

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
And yeah.. I have tried a few other shops around me but they are all cigar shops. This site lists one other on the west side of town. I may give it a go someday when I am bored, but honestly, I cant imagine needing a place beyond Allegheny Smokeworks. They're great in there. Nice smoking lounge too.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
El Fumador is not a bad place, but not as much of a selection on tobaccos. Much higher end selection of pipes, though. And if you need a really fancy lighter, well, it's great. Problem is its in Sewickley and hardly convenient.
Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread.
Haha Not at all, man. That's the point isn't it?
And yeah.. Being in Sewickley on any account beside accidental is rare for me. Last time I was there, my friends were having a child at the hospital. And as far as pipes, the $60-100 range at Allegheny is fine for me, as I am a new smoker still. I am thinking of picking up an Ardor for my birthday though.

Status
Not open for further replies.