PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is my newest acquisition, a Don Warren freehand. He's a carver out of New Mexico who was at the West Coast Pipe Show this weekend. This gem caught my eye the first day of the show and luckily was still around on day two so I headed over to the table and bought it right away. I really like Danish style freehands and this one was some really nice grain on it.
Here's a complete shot of the pipe.
west-coast-pipe-show-2013-007-600x359.jpg

Here is a close up of the grain.
west-coast-pipe-show-2013-008-600x449.jpg

Here is a close up of the grain from the other side.
west-coast-pipe-show-2013-009-600x449.jpg

It passed the pipe cleaner test. It's well balanced and clenches nicely. Still have yet to have a break in bowl in it, but very excited to.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Very nice pipe ! I am a fan of Danish style free hands myself . I bet she smokes good for you . Do you know where Don Warren is located in New Mexico? I live in New Mexico myself and wouldn't mind taking a look at his pipes .

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
He put a business card with the pipe sleeve he gave me.
Email: don@dwpipes.com (by the email I'm guessing his website is http://dwpipes.com/ )
P.O. Box 27089 Albuquerque, NM 87125-7089

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Great pick-up, Lord!
This was the second year in a row that I got to visit with Don at the Vegas Show, and there is not a finer gentleman around. I also was impressed by the continuing improvements he is making on his pipes. The man has talent and I look forward to seeing his continuing progression.
Best,
Pipestud

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I always have liked the look of rusticated and freehand pipes. I think it's the rugged aspect that can be quite subtle or in-your-face about them that grabs me. You, sir, have yourself a fine looking pipe there.

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
I love freehands and this is a fine example. Nice style, grain, shape, what's not to love? Congrats, I'm jealous.

Jan 8, 2013
I LOVE it!!! I can't say that enough. I love the shape, the stain, the stem. The grain is nice... well done :) Enjoy the heck out of it :)

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I live in Abq and am in the Albuquerque Pipe Club with Don. He always has amazing stuff! Im so excited to see his work getting out! Irish, send me a PM if you are interested in meeting up with the Abq pipe club. We meet every friday night and every third thursday! He makes beautiful stuff! Cant wait to tell him that he is "famous" now!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I met Don and spent some time with him at the show again this year. Your pipe is a great specimen of Don's work. I was really impressed with the pipes made with stag/antler adornments on the shank. Those pipes really make me think of the Western area of the USA. What a fine gentleman and pipe maker he is. Thanks for sharing the photos of your new acquisition. congrats.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
docwatson says better what I would've said: I bought one of his antler/maple pipes and Don is a super guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.