PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I belong to roughly a dozen forums of all sorts, and most of them have the same problem, caused by members who try to be either clever or cute. I’m talking about Teaser Titles for threads they begin. Some do try to be cute, other try for clever, but I see them all as goofy at beast and dumb at worst. Now I’ll forgive new members who might not know forum common sense, or all the various Specialized Terms used for the hobby or interest focus of the forum.
But there are fools who start forum thread with titles such as Look At This, or You Have To See This, or maybe You Will Not Believe This. While some forum members read every post on a forum, I only read what interests me. And how the heck can I know if something will interest me if all the title says is Hey, Looky Here?
Now, I’m not, and have never been a Lemming, and find much of what is posted on any forum a waste of my time to read. Which is why I very seldom read Happy Birthday threads if I don’t consider the member a friend. And I often don’t even look at any Happy Birthday tiltjlp threads either. I also hardly ever read off topic threads, because I go to forums to read about pipes and tobacco, or pinball, or some other topic that interests me.
Now, to be honest, I don’t want to read a brag post about your new car, what beer you drink, or what hat you wear when you smoke your pipes. And if I don’t feel I know you a bit, I’m not going to read about your financial or health problems. I’m not hard-hearted, but I have my own problems and don’t need to read about anyone else’s.
So, the next time you start a thread, why not use a title that lets us all know what your post is about? You might be surprised to get a reply from me, since I just might decide that the topic interests me, once you tell me what it is you’re posting about. Also, I’m an old man, so would you do me a favor and use real English, rather than text message shorthand? Thanks for your understanding. And if you don’t understand or agree, and want to bash me, go right ahead, I probably won’t understand your reply anyway.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You should tell us how you really feel . Although I can judge by the titles what I do not choose to read . But a forum is forum for people to share ,vent , As for friends I have a few cyber buddies who I think the world of sure wish we could Ventrillo or something . Now that would be fun . Now I do not know you but if given the chance would like to set down with you face and face and share a smoke .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7Tfl3DWwQ

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I was expecting this thread to be about feeling teased by other's PAD/TAD relief. But instead....
Too bad the title wasn't descriptive enough for me to know what I was actually getting into! :rofl:

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
But the most annoying thing is when somebody tries to "explain" a pet peeve by doing the same thing. People see it, laugh at it and then ignore it.
Exactly, I couldn't have said it better. Chillax, people, it's not worth a coronary. Smoke a bowl.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I'm glad to see that at least a few of you seem to understand what tongue-in-cheek means. The best way to point out something that annoys you is to poke fun at it.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I really hate post when people's post are about nothing but complaining about shit that really is going do nothing but start a firestorm of post. How about if you don't like the way people act on forums either dont read them or just sit there and be happy now I will use good English and to the point titles if you take this damn gripping post down sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.