PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Being a good BOTB:

I play poker once a week and I've got most of the guys interested in pipes. One of my buddies took off with the hobby and has bought a few pipes himself. I have a few pipes I let the guys borrow if they want to enjoy a bowl. However they all smoke aro's and I am pretty low on my aro blends so I decided to stock up.
Today I went to the local B&M for some tobacco. I picked up:
MacBaren H&H Mature Virginia - 2oz

Altadis Amaretto - 1oz

Altadis Whiskey Cavendish - 1oz

Altadis Empire - 1oz

Lane Limited 1Q - 2oz

Lane Limited Very Cherry - 1oz

Lane Limited MV1000 - 1oz

Lane Limited Burley Mild - 1oz

(The MV1000, Burley Mild and Empire I mix for my Metalhead Blend II)
I also ordered a grab bag from Missouri Meerschaum. This way the guys can have there own pipe when they come over. That way I don't have to clean several of mine at once. Between all the aro's and cobs we'll be set. For a few weeks any way.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds awesome. If you're games are long I'd suggest getting some BC-A from Lane Limited. It's in bulk and is a Black Cavendish blend which tends to last a bit longer.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I have been throwing cobs at my smoking grinds for a long while now, a few will smoke them when I'm around but none have been converted yet, glad to see I'm not the only one recruiting and I'm very happy you are more successful than me in doing so! Show your interested freind this forum :)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@ lordofthepiperings: Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't had that blend before. Our poker games generally go 4-5 hours, so I may have to look for that blend next time I'm at the B&M.
@ wnghanglow: my guys are just random smokers, and they think it's funny that I chat on forums so I don't see them joining anytime soon. That's okay, because I don't use FB so I give them crap about posting all their personal crap on there. I doubt I'll convert any of them over to full time smokers either, but it's fun to share a smoke with them from time to time.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Metal- I think I'm local to ya. Norcal right? I have done the same thing here. In fact I have a shelf in my cabinet half dozen friends keep their pipes almost exclusively for poker and the finishing trips.

Your a great friend. You have turned your friends from gamblers, into philosophers.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Metal, I'm trying the same thing. I've got a fishing trip coming up with my Brother-in-Law and a bunch of other guys. I'll be picking up the MM grab bag as well as some simple good baccy. I just started a pipe club that looks like it's set to take off for our second meeting and I've already converted two of my cigar buddies to the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You are a generous guy. I'd keep the cobs at your place, but give them sites where they can buy their own.

Anyone can use a MM now and then. There may even be a tobacco or convenience store that has a big

cardboard rack of Missouri Meerschaums for sale for $7.50 apiece where your friends could buy them.

Two or three is not too many, even for the occasional smoker. If anyone wants to graduate to briar but

doesn't want to spend $50, pipesmagazine's new sponsor Tobaccopipes.com has an nice array of U.S.

machine made pipes for around $20 to $35, and only $4.99 for shipping. They'd be supporting the U.S.

pipe makers while joining the pipe community. Incidentally, pubs in England used to keep a rack of

clay pipes and give (or sell?) a new one to each new patron and keep it on a big rack, signed with its

owner's name. Similar to your hospitality.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@ guhrillastile - I'm actually in Washington State, but just across from Portland, OR.

@ brdavidson - Kudos to you for starting a club. I've been looking at starting one in my area, but still trying to figure out the logistics as there are no indoor facilities to smoke at and it rains a lot here. I think I've found a nice park that will work and there is no ordinances against smoking in the park, but not sure anyone will want to meet in the park. So its still a work in progress on my end. Good luck with your club!
As for the others that commented; I'll be keeping the pipes here with the different individuals name on them, that way they'll always be here and not forgotten at home or lost by the person. Maybe I'll get a few converted like my one friend, but we'll see.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I received my grab bag yesterday. I was very happy with what I received as well. I was hoping for a bunch of Legends or Washington's as they will be a good size pipe for my buddies. I was also wanting another General for me. I got:
2 - Legends (curved rim)

3 - Legends (standard look)

3 - Washington's

1 - Diplomat (standard look)

1 - General
All the pipes look like they're in good shape as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.