PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Dogs came into my yard and killed three of my chickens, and scattered the rest. They were so tame that they would come to you . Now they hide in the thickets. After trapping the remaining hens I had to capture my roster Scott. I chased him threw thickets a rabbit wouldnt go into and out into a field where I captured him with the help of Ashley. If I see a dog in my yard its dead.
Why will people not keep their animals in their yard?

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I have a device that throws lead at about 2800 feet per second in a very precise manner. That will have to do.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Obviously I don't know where you live, but it could have been a stray. Also, dogs have a tendency to break out of their enclosures. There are some people though who should never have acquired a pet in the first place. Sorry to hear about the chickens.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Sorry about the chickens, but to brag about killing dogs for doing what comes naturally to them when there are numerable non-lethal alternatives is, to me, unconscionable.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Completely natural for a dog to do. How would you like to be shot for buying a hamburger?

The owner, on the other hand, probably needs some sense knocked into him/her.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
locopony I can totally understand how you feel. Any other animal that comes onto your property to kill your pets or livestock is hard to take. Ranchers with Wolves, Farmers with any pest that threatens their crops is likely to be terminated. I am sure anyone here who has an animal they love would feel the need to terminate any other animal that would come onto your property to kill your animal. I do not condone the killing of dogs, however I do understand how Loco can feel. Now what would anyone think if it would have been a neighbors Python that had escaped and came and killed his chickens?

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about the chickens. Problems like this are generally best solved by educating the dogs' owner(s). If that doesn't work, then lawyers may be willing to help you educate them in the costs of irresponsible dog ownership.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm very sorry about your chickens. Considering they are providers of eggs as well

as meat, chickens are incredibly hard to protect. There are quite a few people who

keep chickens in town here, and they lose them to dogs, foxes, raccoon, 'possums,

etc. Chicks are eaten by every living thing and have to be kept indoors or securely

in a hatchery box. Dogs on the loose can do serious harm. A pair of aggressive dogs

killed the town mascot in a little Missouri town. The mascot was a little beagle mix who

would sleep on a chair on the sidewalk (he looked dead!) and then leap up and fly after

his "dad" on a all-wheel drive vehicle. The sweet old mutt was torn to pieces by this

pair of dogs. I'd be very worried about small children.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
turn them in for being irresponsible.
Maybe...depends on where he lives, if its county turning them in does nothing

Rat shot in a .22 is non lethal and still pretty darn persuasive for a pest dog

Course if the problem doesnt change, the owner won't help, cops won't help...

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
turn them in for being irresponsible.
Maybe...depends on where he lives, if its county turning them in does nothing

Rat shot in a .22 is non lethal and still pretty darn persuasive for a pest dog

Course if the problem doesnt change, the owner won't help, cops won't help...

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
If he can't turn them in and the owners are d***s and won't control thier dogs then I'd catch the dogs and take them in myself. I've had to do it where I live a few times. There's fewer loose dogs here now.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
True, you can always turn the dogs into the pound, do that a couple of times and the owners will either never find them again or will wise up. Shooting pets is against the law in most places and carries jail time and fines. Of course I understand how you feel and if there were dogs on the loose killing my animals, if I could get away with it, I would probably kill them myself.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
All you guys who are comming down on me for wanting to kill dogs that killed my chickens. I wonder how you would react if a coyote killed you dog or cat. Or if a snake bit one of you pets.

My daughter rescued those chickens from an animal abuser, and they are her pets. She ofter would sit with them while they ate and fed them by hand.

Its no different than if a pitbull came into your yard and killed your pets. Not just one but three.
There is no dog pound in the county. If ya call the authorities they say shoot them.
And I didnt brag about anything Bigvan, I havent done anything yet.
What I find unconscionable, is for dogs to run stray through out the country side not cared for by any owner. People get pets yet dont tend them. Then they cause havoc to other who do care for their animals.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, if the authorities say shoot them (get it writing or record the phone connversation for the judge, if it comes to that), then fire at will. Some dogs are feral and hunt livestock. In that case I see no reason bot to take aim. Originally, I had thought it was Fido from next door. In which case the owners are at fault. But then again, that's how the Hatfield & McCoy feud started up. Tough call. Can you use a silencer?

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
About 30 years ago, dogs started packing and running wild in my area. They ham-strung 2 of my calves - an ugly sight, and it broke my heart to have to shoot them to put them out of their misery.
If the dogs were killing livestock, they would kill children. My daughter was 8 years old.
I called the sheriff and was told that the pack was dangerous and they were tracking them. Two days later I called again and told them that they could pick up the 9 carcasses. The pack leader took 3 shots to bring down, and I'm a good shot. This dog had bloodthirst, the rest were building to that. Killing a pet gone bad was a horrible experience, but where I come from we protect what we have.
If a dog kills a chicken, he won't stop. If your neighbors are reasonable, talk to them. If not, call the sheriff and find out your legal rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.