PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
12 yr old Grandson came with sister, Mom and Dad, got a drone for Christmas. Winds at the farm are always high coming off the Gulf 25 miles away. Drone lifted off, hovered in front of house, house facing North, wind out the South, it lifted,lifted,lifted and took off due south, he ran across the road and I jumped in my truck, too late it was a gone pecan. Grandson says I"m in trouble, I said let me do the talking, don't say nothing. We went in the house and I told his Dad, I was flying the drone and the wind took it. We joked around and I told grandson Paw Paw will get you another, let's look at Amazon, he said I know exactly which one. Ordered it and kid will have it next Friday. Cost me 150$, that's not that bad to keep kid out of trouble. I tickled him when he said but Paw Paw that's a lot of money. I told him Paw Paws got more money than the big OX can shit. :rofl:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've not known anyone who's drone has lasted very long. Even the big, fancy ones police use take it on the chin sooner rather than later. They do look like fun.

Mike S.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'll bet Amazon has these things programmed to fly back to the warehouse. Then they box em up and sell em back to you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have yet to get into the drones, but my helis can cost a fortune. Had over two grand in this bad boy only to have the receiver malfunction and crash into the side of a bridge last summer. :crying:
12131116542-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe while the drone is on its way, try the young'un on a kite. I know it's a little old fashioned, but it's a blast to pump that rascal up a few hundred feet and almost out of sight. Also, if it takes a dive, it's $8, or $15, mostly string. Make it a tail out of pieces of rag and send messages up the string. You have the wind conditions.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Brad, way to keep Christmas merry for you Grandson. Super nice of ya!
MSO I'll have to agree with you. I'd recommend a two line "power kite" sized for the person flying it. They are basically a miniature version of kite surfing kites but even so produce enough pull to make flying one in a good wind an interactive workout. I've flown drones and power kites and I find the kites far more entertaining. They cost quite a bit more than $15 dollars though so there is a down side.

Status
Not open for further replies.