PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
This Saturday afternoon I looked out my kitchen window and saw my yard flooded, my new Catahoula puppy was on the old porch soaking wet but didn't think anything of it. Ran outside, crawled under the old Acadian house, 4 ft crawl space but a land mine for a fat old geezer. COCO had ran into and sheared a hot water stubb out for future hot water to back of porch. Went to main cut off under front porch and turned water off. Hand all muddy I went to animal trough and washed them. In house I loaded my pipe and sat on porch with a vivid rainbow of cuss words slung at my new Dogs way. To say the pipe calmed me down may be an overstatement , but my ire rose again when I called the wife who was Christmas shopping who said That doesn't surprise me she's been chasing cats under the house all week. I loaded another bowl, pipes calm you down, don't they. To make a short story long we were without water till Monday noon. Boy am I a sissy, it seemed like forever. :laughat:

Yi yi yi! At least you know what caused it, and you didn't have to go digging to look for it. I had an irrigation pipe, just pvc, that kept shearing off underground a few years ago. I still have no idea what was causing it. But, I had to replace it with galvanized pipe.

But, when it's your dog, it's hard to stay mad at them... for very long anyways, ha ha.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Plumbing problems always appear at the most inopportune times. Sounds like you handled the situation well. Now for a Merry Christmas. ;-)

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Makes me glad that my dogs have all been lazy suckers. Glad you've got it cleared up!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Your story reminds me of being on the farm in West Virginia a little Brad. My dog has an affinity for deer poo, and she would roll in it every time she came across a pile while roaming the hills. I would be washing the dog with Dawn soap at the end of every day because she would cover herself in poo. I would settle down for the evening by sitting on the porch with a wet stinky dog that I wanted to kill next to me, and a pipe turning my frustrations into after-thoughts. Man's best friends... when the one friend pisses you off then you can turn to the other one for support.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
My wife and I got a yellow lab shortly after we got married and we still have her today. Sweet Pea will be 14 years old in March and is still going pretty strong. This lab was a terror to raise, but has been well worth it. One day we came home and Sweet apes had her head stuck through the wall! She tore a hole in the old, rotten fiber board on the back of the house, removed the insulation and made a hole in the sheet rock inside! She is too cute to stay mad at long. This strong will makes her a great retriever and I love her for it.
I also had a peach tree that had been in the ground for about a year and was about 2" diameter at the base. Came home one day and she had dug the tree up, drug it onto the porch and chewed it in half. I love that dog!

Jun 27, 2016
Couldn't you have just shut off the hot water line after the water heater instead of the whole-house main? At least then you would have had cold water until the repair. Maybe I am missing something.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Balk I have an on demand water heater, the Ball valve would not shut off, almost broke the line trying too, so while the water was off I had the plumber put a new Ball valve, in fact 2 inlet and outlet of water heater.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Good thing you figured it out. We had a main leak in the front yard last year. Didn't even know till the water bill came. About had a stroke.

Jun 27, 2016
Well at least you got it shut off somewhere then, tbradsim1. Plus, I'm glad that your dog had not run off, which I thought I was going to read about when I opened the thread!

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Brad those Catahoula dogs are beautiful! A real gem of the bayou, and really good at hunting just about anything you train them to hunt. A good friend of mine in Texas has several and they are the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.