PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some expressions and cliches rankle me immediately. One of these is the expression that

declares that some tough, usually powerful, old guy, "doesn't suffer fools gladly." This is

supposed to be a badge of respect, if not downright admiration. That is the way it is almost

always meant. The subtext I tend to suspect is that this person (nearly always male) is a rather

nasty, controlling individual hiding some considerable weaknesses of his own. First, no one

suffers anything gladly. If they "suffer gladly," they're a masochist and the "suffering" is a

pleasure. So the statement is immediately suspect. Second, everyone is foolish at least several

times a day -- rage at inanimate objects, pomposity, perfectionism, ill temper, and on and on.

We're human. So on the face of it, this august old coot doesn't suffer himself, in his foolish

moments, gladly either. And we assume he'd know foolishness from an astute wit, his own

failure of perception or understanding, etc. No one suffers fools gladly, so there is no particular

pride or dignity in the trait. It's everyone. Edit that expression and move on to some actual

content.

Jan 8, 2013
Oddly enlightening, thanks mso489. Ive heard the expression plenty of times, but never really though it out to that extent. Well stated sir.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I think it must be a slow day. The first problem is the simple definition of "suffer". In the context of the expression it merely means "abide" or "stand for". It has nothing to do with pain. There is a decided difference in being foolish and being a fool. Doing something foolish does not make one a fool.
As for people like this I would sincerely suspect that the psychoanalysis offered is wrong. Don't know but on occasion I abide the actions of others.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
kcghost, I maintain that the expression admires a condescending attitude that isn't admirable. Are some

brilliant folks entitled to select out distracting people who are not up to their standards in their area of

expertise? Sure.
If I need to depict someone who lives way above the norm in some way, I think I will dig around and

observe specific gifts and achievements of theirs, and not celebrate their unwillingness to abide some

others, whomsoever. Maybe it's just my quirk, of which I have many! But next time that phrase is

thrown at you, stop and see what you think.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I think the expression is an entirely appropriate one. Unfortunately, MSO, your understanding of the term is what is weak, and it is we who must suffer your lack of knowledge of the meaning of words. The word suffer has nothing to do with pain. In this context it means "tolerate." Thus, it means that while many of us will tolerate a fool, accepting his foolishness with a bit of a smile on occasion, the individual in question is more than likely to say something on the order of: "better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to speak up and prove it." A quick excursion through the dictionary will give you the various meanings of suffer. As a transitive verb it has four meanings, of which the third sense is the type referred to in the expression. Shakespeare uses the line "the eagle suffers little birds to sing." Be assured that the eagle is feeling no pain whatsoever. Rather, hear the word is used in the fourth sentence, which means: to allow especially by reason of indifference. Hope this helps.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
It's usually used as an excuse to be rude, but it's hard to put up with someone committed to being stupid.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
mso489 observed:

No one suffers fools gladly ...
Maybe not, but some folks DO suffer them politely ... MrsS, for example, is that way ... I, on the other hand, am, as you so vividly put it, an august old coot who does not ... I've never thought that attitude earned me a "badge of respect" or that it might gain the admiration of others, it's just part of who I am ... in younger years, I used to be more long suffering and polite when exposed to fools, but given the exponential increase in the supply of fools and my ever advancing old cootness, I'm less inclined each day to suffer them gladly ...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
ravfesev has the truth of it. In its use as a transitive verb, suffer means "to experience".
"The eagle suffers little birds to sing." - Shakespeare
I've considered this phrase to be descriptive of someone who is all business and who does not welcome having time wasted.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Suffering fools should not be interpreted in the modern sense. To do so skews the meaning and misses the point of the adage.
Kings often suffered fools gladly. In deed, many royal personages kept fools as part of the royal retinue for diversion and amusement. The fool was often a master of satire and could get away with making sport of the royals without suffering any penalty. Part of a fool's job was to keep the king grounded in reality and not believing his press as it were.
The fool was, in many cases, untouchable in the sense that he was thought to be not entirely sane ergo, not responsible for what came out of their mouths and so, somewhat freer to say what many were afraid to say in the presence of the Monarch. Being, or playing the fool was an important position, probably not accompanied with a lot of job security, often times well remunerated. His importance was that he could speak truths which were not popular with a certain degree of impunity.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I use this expression often to describe people that don't enjoy my goofball sense of humor. I am usually very professional, but sometimes my inner clown escapes.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
In actuality, it's a twisted version of a quote of the Apostle Paul. "For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise." In modern usage it would be, "You hang around with idiots because they make you look smart". I think he was being sarcastic. The modern version is just mean and lacks any nuance of meaning. Anyone who would believe that of themselves is probably a fool himself, and a conceited one at that.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Let's defend elitism.
I prefer the company of well educated and mannered folks. I am polite to those that are not. However, I don't necessarily enjoy all of the interactions with them. listening to the office workers talk about dancing with the stars and the Kardashians can become tiresome.

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
Well said, but what is wrong with perfectionism?
Perfectionism is inefficient. I prefer Satisficing, a term coined by Herbert Simon. The premise behind Satisficing is this: If a company attempts to build the 'perfect product' or attempts to build a product perfectly, they will eventually exhaust their resources, both in terms of capital and man-hours. In attempt recover their expenses during manufacturing, the company will have to sell the product at an exhorbitant price or risk not making a profit. In other words, perfection is the enemy of the good. We should instead try to make a product good enough, not perfect.
Satisficing is designed into all modern manufacturing processes. Even those processes involving manufacture by robots, whom we think of as infalliable and 'perfect' compared to a human employee. Those processes are designed around the premise that perfection is unachievable.
For example, a robotic arm on the Toyota manufacturing line is expectedd to mistakes. The Standard Deviation for missing spot welds is 1 in 20. That's 5 mistakes in 100. (95% is still an 'A' grade, right?)
Toyota knows that the roof of their car needs 375 spot welds. They will program the robot to perform 400 welds, 25 more than necessary. If the robot performs according to statistical behavior and misses 5 welds for every 100, it puts 380 into the roof. That's 5 more welds than necessary.
If Toyota expected the robot to perform perfectly and miss 0 welds, all cars would be built below-specification. They could spend twice as much money buying better robots that only missed 1 weld in 50, but why go to that expense? It is just cheaper to design expected failure into the manufacturing process. On the rare occasion the robot does the job perfectly (making 25 more welds than necessary), did we really lose that much time?
Perfection is impossible, expensive and unnecessary. Good enough will usually do.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Unless the opening post here is referring to something/someone in an earlier post which I have missed (somebody please help me out if this is the case) it seems to have no purpose in a forum that is dedicated to pipe smoking.
This thread now seems to be degenerating into the arrant nonsense which in my opinion populates the eternal 'starcat' thread. However if this is indeed a pointless OP, at least it is well-written, unlike the thought-disordered starcat offering (although that does actually mention the word "pipe")

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Indeed, I was jazzing a riff or two on the meanings in my initial post, but having heard that expression, and

appreciated its various "intended" meanings as well as the underlying intent and tone, I still maintain it is

often used as praise, for the wrong reasons. I don't have my hundred and some citations of the usage of this

expression. But it always raises my hackles. And since I am not the least of wordsmiths in my own right,

I'm trusting my judgement, at least to the extent that I never use the phrase. Abide, tolerate, or otherwise,

gladly ... it has an uncomfortable tone about the relationships between those educated and in control and

those they presume to judge.
Is this a useless post? I think it is fairly interesting. But if you go back and check me out, I stick nearly

entirely to pipes. This one is a rare indulgence. Sorry if it has waylaid or irritated anyone. All the responses

have been worthy and interesting, in one way or another, agreeable or otherwise.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
flaky:
"it seems to have no purpose in a forum that is dedicated to pipe smoking."
If you'll look at the section this thread is in, it's called "General Discussion." And "General Discussion" is not a pipe-related section of the Forum.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Not a worthless post - all good prose (and that it is) is worthwhile - I just couldn't understand its point. I thought you might have been making direct/indirect reference to a previous post which might have included the irritating phrase?
What is true, I believe, is that the resulting thread which did bring up some interesting philosophical slants was beginning to get hijacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.