Tags:  No tags yet. 

Does Zippo screw up the flavor?

(38 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by jason64
  • Latest reply from pufferfish
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason64

Login to Send PM

I came across this topic that Zippo fluid screws up the taste and flavor of tobacco. Is there such thing?

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For some.

Just make sure you let the flame burn for a second or two, and that you don't tip the lighter towards the bowl: keep it parallel to the ground and you'll be fine.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^ exactly

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

don't tip the lighter towards the bowl: keep it parallel to the ground and you'll be fine.

Confused... Parallel to the ground means tipping the lighter on it's side correct? Wouldn't that be the same as tipping it towards the bowl?

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, Panhandler. Besides, with Zippos designed for pipes, which have a hole in each side of the chimney, you need to hold the lighter horizontal in order to draw the flame down and into the bowl.

See here: Zippo instructional

The demonstrator in that video is playing it even safer—by tilting the flaming end of the lighter slightly upwards to avoid fuel spills.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK. Yeah, I have a Zippo with the pipe insert and use it often. I was just confused about the tipping part.

Got it now. Thanks Olkofri.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rarely get the gasoline flavor from my Zippo. When I do, it never lingers more than a couple of seconds anyway. It's not a big deal.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Never really got the taste of fuel. I think the inconvenience with pipe zippos is that you have to draw real hard when only very little tobacco left in the bowl. Hard to get it lit. For this I just grab my clipper lighter in order to be able to finish the bowl.

Pierre
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never use the pipe inserts anymore. I went through three of them, and the striker wheel always seemed to gum up really fast, probably from the fluid. But, when I started using the regular Zippo insert, which never gummed up, I found that turning it on it's side and holding it an inch to half-an-inch above the bowl to work just as well as the insert. I'm not even sure now, why the pipe insert is even needed.

And, no, I don't taste the fluid in the bowl.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  10. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can definitely taste it, but it's only for a second. There aren't any long term taste effects. The main reason I don't use my zips is because the altitude and dryness of where I live means I have to refill them almost daily due to evaporation. Now that I've switched to mostly butane, the fluid taste is more evident.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t taste any fluid and I 100% of the time use Zippo (except for when I don’t). I use a pipe insert never had a prob with the wheel gumming up (knock on wood).

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

been using zippo since 1980. cigarettes, cigars, and now pipes. no issues what so ever. unless, of course, i run out of fuel. that's why i have a bic.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On cigars!! Interesting.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I took care of the Zippo fluid issue with a Thunderbird insert. Now, yeah, I know a lot of people say, "After the first few puffs it's not an issue." True that may be, however when I smoke I want good taste from the beginning. I don't want to have to "unwrap" every bowl with a couple of obligatory kerosene puffs (or times X number of relights, which no one ever seems to consider) to get to a lack of gasoline flavor.

Yeah, I'm picky, & it's just me. But that *works* for me, so just deal with the attitude.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't mind it in pipe smoking, in fact I don't feel it at all. I can't stand it though in my cigars ...

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. cajomu

cajomu

Login to Send PM

@jason64

Zippo lighter fluid is both volatile and flammable, so any that doesn't burn when you are lighting your pipe quickly dissipates. I occasionally get a brief whiff of it but have never tasted is when using my Zippo.

But all that matters is what you think. If you don't like the taste of tobacco lit with lighter fluid, try a butane lighter or use matches.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On cigars!! Interesting.

Ive used zippos on cigars plenty of times. When you need a light, you use what you got.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But all that matters is what you think. If you don't like the taste of tobacco lit with lighter fluid, try a butane lighter or use matches.

Well and directly stated.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  19. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

So I don't ever use matches, like I probably should. I've been using a Zippo for a few years now. Yesterday I forgot it at home and used a bic lighter from the wife.

I MUCH PERFER the taste of the Zippo.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 months ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I really get particular, even matches impart a slight scent into the air. I let a match burn a second or two, and then light the pipe. It gives the flame time to stabilize a little too. If you get the lighter fueled just right, it shouldn't give off much or any scent, but if you get a whiff of lighter fuel, it can bias the first few puffs. This is all sense of smell, not taste, but as with food, the scent is a lot of the experience. I like matches for the extra soft flame, but with any flame, reducing the smell is a good idea. This really sounds fussy, but I think it is a fine point, but true.

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. mudcamper

mudcamper

Login to Send PM

A newb here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I find that I have to hold a soft flame butane lighter over the tobacco much longer than a pipe Zippo. I have to swirl it around a few times to get a good light (the butane). But with the pipe Zippo, I draw in the huge flame for just a brief instant and I have a good light. So either I burn some tobacco too hot, or I get a very brief whiff of Ronsonol. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I am still experimenting with both.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. cajomu

cajomu

Login to Send PM

A newb here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Don't apologize for being new to the "hobby." You're observations are as valid as mine and everybody else's.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a princess and can taste fuel during the bowl, maybe it's all in my head but I can't use a Zippo and enjoy my pipe. Have been matches only for years.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

I use lighters but prefer matches.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used Zippo’s for decades (cigarettes) you get used to the taste after a while and don’t notice it anymore. Cigars seem to be more sensitive, possibility because once you draw the fumes in there’s no way for it to evaporate, I prefer my tobacco to not taste like naphtha.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A newb here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I find that I have to hold a soft flame butane lighter over the tobacco much longer than a pipe Zippo. I have to swirl it around a few times to get a good light (the butane). But with the pipe Zippo, I draw in the huge flame for just a brief instant and I have a good light. So either I burn some tobacco too hot, or I get a very brief whiff of Ronsonol. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I am still experimenting with both.

If you like a large flame, you can adjust the butane lighter.

However, a gentler lighting of tobacco is often "a good thing".

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I came across this topic that Zippo fluid screws up the taste and flavor of tobacco. Is there such thing?

Yes, there is such a thing but the only way I have found to do it is by overfilling the lighter and/or use bad quality fuel. Not all lighter fuel is created equal.

Also, don't have your wick too long. With my pipe insert, I tend to have it so it goes no further than halfway up the hole in the chimney.

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like matches for indoor use or perfect conditions outside. I have a vertigo pipe lighter. It has not failed me now for two years.

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

For me the lighter fluid is a no-no. My son-in-law bought me a butane Zippo and I love it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tried the pipe insert on my Zippo. I think it's something they made just because they could. It wasn't an improvement, just required a different technique. I tip the lighter a bit towards the pipe, tip the bowl towards the lighter, and suck the flame to the tobacco. Then, pipe well lit, I go about my merry way. I read the instructions which came with my first Zippo. After getting in the habit of letting the flame burn a second, no fuel taste. I do the same with matches, even the sainted Vesta, so as not to taste the match ignition.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  31. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

I tried lighting with a the Zippo (pipe insert) for the first time today. Worked just fine, but I did get a whiff of fuel taste even after letting it burn for a couple of seconds. Only on the first puff though, and I think this will be my future choice for windy condition lighting.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do admit the fluid insert is probably more windproof than the Thunderbird (butane) insert. I'm just this butane guy, y'know, so the T'bird is my alternate to the Imco in windy situations.

Bill

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, use one all day, everyday

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am butane and matches all the way.

However, to minimize the intrusion of lighter fluid taste, hold the flame further away from the tobacco. The super heated air beyond the tip of the flame is enough to gently ignite the tobacco. Just draw the flame to near the tobacco, don't point it in.

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't prefer them for many reasons, but in answer to your question, no.

Posted 2 months ago #
  36. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 months ago #
  37. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   geopiper, odobenus, ashdigger, jaytex969, oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, boffosquid, ben88, disinformatique, ray47, morgansteele, acidpox, weezell