PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I am watching a weber pipe on ebay and I dont have any experience with this brand. Can anyone help?

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
I got a weber pipe for cheap in an ebay win a few weeks ago. I cleaned it up and now its honestly one of my favorite pipes. Not only does it look amazing and have PERFECT grain, but it smokes great. I havent heard anything else about weber pipes, but from my experience they are great. If you can get it for cheap I would say go for it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have a Weber from the 70s (it was my father's). The airway is TINY; I can barely get a pipecleaner through it. Fills and spots abound. I think hnryclay is absolutely correct in his assessment of the brand.
bbauer, I'm a bit skeptical of your claim of "PERFECT grain" on a bargain pipe. Pictures!!!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I've got an estate waiting to be cleaned. But yes, overall it looks like a low-medium range pipe, below Savinelli or Peterson quality. Haven't smoked it yet, but it does look nice and has a nice feel to it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Could be his idea of "perfect grain" differ from yours. From what I've heard and read, 360 degree straight grain is most commonly considered "perfect" because of it's rarity. My idea of perfect grain would total coverage of nice tight birds-eye. Straight is nice but kinda boring to me,birds-eye seems to give the grain motion or something. Very pleasant to look at.The pipe that came closest to perfect grain for me was an old Yellobole squashed tomato looking thing.With the thousands of pipes made by the various factories,some of them were bound to have,if not perfect,some very nice grain. I have a few.

I've heard several good comments about how well the Webers smoke.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Please understand that my skepticism is a friendly one; as in, "really? Cool! Let's see it!"

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
HAHA ok well I guess I would agree that "perfect" is really in the eye of the beholder.... but this pipe has better grain than most of my other pipes. I tend to prefer any grain that is really uniform and nice and sticks out. I guess that this wouldn't be "perfect" but I sure enjoy looking at it. IDK... I posted a picture. let me know what you guys think about it.

IMG_6260.jpg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I had a Weber pot in the early nineties, it was old when I got it. I had to open it up a bit, other than that, it was fine. By fine I mean nothing to look at, but held burning tobacco adequately. That's the best I can say about it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
bbaur, if you like it that's all that's important.
However, you may want to strengthen your definition of "perfect" before you buy a car. Or a house. Or get married.
;-)

Sep 23, 2013
I'm sorry I'm posting this after two years. My experience with Weber pipes is very good! I was very lucky to have purchased a Weber Royal Band as my very firs briar pipe. It smokes better than any other pipe I've had over the years, including Savinelli, Peterson's, and even Dunhills. Currently I own about eight weber pipes.

oLV1lRf.jpg
I try to buy Royal Bands and Deep Grain, I think they smoke better than other pipes such as the Filter Smoke. I made an exception about two months ago and bought a small Weber Weskit. I was not surprised how well it smoked.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have a webber deluxe author sandblast that was my grandfathers. It's in my regular rotation. Great smoker. Nice draft, stays cool and dry.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I have some E. Wilke pipes that were made by Weber and stamped E. Wilke and all are great smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.