Does Wall Thickness on a Meerschaum matter ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Hello guys,
This is probably an old topic , but I haven't been able to find any info so I thought I'd ask.
I have found a meerschaum pipe that I quite like and I am contemplating on it. However, the chamber is 20mm on the inside and 35mm on the outside, which gives it 0.75 cm wall thickness.
For briar I'd probably stay away, but I really don't know for meerschaum. Does it matter ? Should I look for a pipe with thicker walls or get the one I liked.
Your opinions are as always highly appreciated and valued.
Thanks!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At some point, extra thin walls spell trouble for any pipe, but I'd go with what Tim says. 15 cm doesn't seem real thin to me, but none of my meers are that thin-walled. How about a photo?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
There are lots of old and new Meerschaum pipes that have thin walls. People have been enjoying them for a very long time without issue, so I think you'll be fine. Of course its all a matter of preference, but I don't think you'll have an issue.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Speaking as a 'mono-meerscheum' smoker I have always found that thinner walls and thinner stems make for a better smoke. That being said that just maybe because I grew up smoking clay pipes. The only advantage to thicker walls/stems I can see is the durability angle but as far I can see they all smoke well. The only caveat I would add is that meers from 100 years ago seem to be more robust than the modern incarnations probably as the rock has hardened from all the tar and oils over the last 100 odd years.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Thanks ! jpmcwjr, here it is: http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=16509#.WSTGVXag9tQ
It is actually not quite what I am looking for. I would like a pipe with a wider bowl, but it seems as though there are no wide bowl meerschaums. Are there ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are, but I don't know how to guide you. I have one that's bigger than the one you linked to, but don't have it handy to measure. And I am headed to NY tomorrow night.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A 7.5mm wall doesn't seem too thin to me: 7.5/25.4 = 0.3 inches. In buying a meer, I would be more concerned with the mortise and tenon system. Most use the push-pull nylon/teflon fittings depicted below -- which have such a narrow draft diameter that smoking them is like sucking liquid through a swizzle stick! IMO it's worth the effort to email or call a vendor in a search for meers with briar pipe-type mortise/tenon arrangements.

SFT-3-1.jpg
SF1524-1.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
Depends on how fast you smoke. Meers tend to smoke a bit hot. If you smoke quickly you will like a thicker wall. But thicker will take longer to break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.