Does Tobacco Smell Or Taste Better In Cooler Weather?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I always notice that things smell better in the fall and winter. Maybe they're more pronounced. Maybe they don't have as much heat or humidity in the air to affect the smells. I remember working at a Lowe's hardware store in high school and my first few years of college. At the upper end of the parking lot sat a bunch of restaurants, a few of them, steakhouses. I noticed the smell from the meat cooking in the summer as well, but there was something about the air turning colder that enhanced the aroma so much more.
I noticed this same sensation while I was out back smoking some Maltese Falcon yesterday. The taste from it seemed much more pronounced. The aroma from the lingering smoke was much more intense than when I smoked it over the summer. Maybe it's me, I don't know, but I feel like things, including tobacco, has a way of tasting and smelling better in the cooler days than warm or hot days.
What do you think? Do you notice a difference in the way a blend tastes/smells from cooler months to warmer months? I know some people smoke certain types of blends in the summer more so than the winter and vice/versa, but is this the primary reason?

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Even though I smoke primarily indoors, in the winter with lower humidity there's a noticeable improvement to the smoke: drier, cooler, and much sweeter tasting. I actually like good cigars during the dog days of summer.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
We have such low humidity all year round, the only time I notice a difference is when it rains. Then everything seems "heavy" including the smoke.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
We have such low humidity all year round, the only time I notice a difference is when it rains. Then everything seems "heavy" including the smoke.
I've experienced this a few times within the last few weeks with all these raging storms we've been getting. I noticed all the added moisture in the air seems to mingle with the smoke and it almost makes the damp air and smoke seem different. I tend to notice how soggy everything seems to taste and smell. Sometimes it's so off putting I just snuff the bowl and go back in.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Molecules move slower when it is cold. Colder the weather less odor molecules enter your nose. That's why everything stinks and smells in summer, because it's hot and molecules move like crazy. In summer there 10 different odor molecules in the air while there are 1 or 2 in the winter. It is like the sounds during the day compared to the night. You may even hear the crackling sounds coming from your pipe during the night time. Smoke odor is more intense in winter, because there is almost nothing to compete with it. Also cold air helps burning process (more oxygen) so your tobacco burns better. Besides, cold air prevents your pipe from smoking hot. Enjoy the winter, gentlemen!

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
It's snowing like hell up here so I though I would try a little experiment. I'm a pro, don't try this at home. I smoked a bowl of 965 and then a bowl of Plum Pudding. I smoke both these blends a lot. I could definitely tell a big difference in the aro and not so much in the 965. Your results my vary but the weather, for me definitely made the aro much heavier than normal and had not so much effect on the 965.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I sure think so. When it gets really hot I switch over to cigars. They seem to hit the spot, but even Padrons and Ligas (etc.) aren’t as tasty as good pipe tobacco. To me at least. Never had a Cuban.
I do love a good ‘desert’ stick on a summer night after a meal. A Triple Maduro Camacho or even a lowly La Aroma de Cuba Rothschild usually does the trick. Those are a couple of my go-tos in cigar season.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
I have no idea why but...
I smoke year around in my house and outside in Alaska.
Recently, I went on vacation to Mexico. I just couldn't get into my pipe down there. I could only smoke outside there, where it was mostly 80F.
Regardless of the temp outside here (-30 to +70F) I seem to enjoy my pipe more in AK. Even in my cabin, where it is cold outside, yet +75+ inside the cabin next to the woodstove, I seem to enjoy it more. I'm sure it's psychological. Kinda like you enjoy winter blends of beer, hot cider, or hot chocolate in the winter... even though it's 70 in the house where you are drinking.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Gulf Coast summers pretty much shut me down for pipe smoking. Disgustingly high humidity-- almost nothing tastes good.

secateurs

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
I used to be a heavy cigarette smoker, and I absolutely noticed the first few really cold days dramatically changed the experience.

Mar 29, 2016
I prefer Spring/Summer smoking to Fall/Winter smoking. I only smoke my cigars in Spring/Summer, I will not waste a Cuban in cold weather.
As for pipe smoking, as a Virginia lover, warm and normal or lightly humid is the way to go. In the colder weather I smoke more Latakia, Kentucky and stronger Virginias.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
For me, temperatures impact the form of smoking. I smoke more cigars during warmer months. I haven’t experienced a lot of difference in the quality of smoke. Though I do smoke more lat heavy English blends in the winter & more Virginia blends in my pipe in the spring. High humidity isn’t much of a factor where I live.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I am always amazed at how well sound travels in the winter.
Sounds actually travels faster in warm, humid air than it does in cold, dry air. On the other hand, it does travel further in cold air than warm air.
The vast majority of my smoking is done inside so I don't notice much difference with the change of seasons. I'm thankful for that. What little smoking I've done outside in hot, humid weather has had some added challenges. Less than ideal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you really get into the heat, a bowl of leaf may not have quite the appeal, or not unless accompanied by quantities of ice water. With a.c., a pipe is good any time of year, probably, even if the actual smoking is done outside in the sultry air.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Cool, yes. Cold, no. Those terms are relative, but below about 20 degrees I notice muted flavors, not to mention much worse condensation and gurgling. I would say that 40 to 60 degrees is my happy window of the best flavor. Humidity matters but doesn't vary much in Wyoming.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I always use this when friends tell me I'm addicted to smoking. Fact is, I've put down the pipe for 3-6 months every summer for the last ten years or so. Once our first crisp fall day rolls around, I have to have a smoke!
So maybe I'm addicted, but it's certainly more of a ritual addiction than a chemical addiction, and it's very dependent on the weather. Since moving from Alabama to Kentucky (average of 10 degrees f cooler year-round), I'm definitely smoking more.

Status
Not open for further replies.