Does the "10 Pipe Grab Bag of Smokable Seconds" worth the money?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravid98

Lurker
Sep 24, 2016
Unlisted/None
I was thinking about ordering the "10 Pipe Grab Bag of Smokable Seconds" deal of "missouri corn cob". The ten corn cob pipes cost 34 dollars, including shipping.

Do you guys think it worth the money?. Some people say it is a great deal, while others think it is not. While it is a relativity cheap price for 10 pipes, I am kind of low on funds. I do not have a pipe, or rather, a stem for my briar pipe, which my house cleaner broke. I think it might be a great way to start my rotation. What do you guys think?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Since I was unfamiliar with the different styles of CC pipes, and not sure of what I'd like, I got a bag about two years ago. I got a good assortment that I'm still smoking. One has begun to burn through the side but I'm still using it until it's total toast. It is the luck of the draw though. If you get a bunch of those mini CCs then you may not be happy. I thankfully got none of those. So, in closing (ha!), I'd say if you know what style you like then you're better off just buying a few of those individually and not risking disappointment. But if you want to sample a bunch then the grab bag is a good buy.

May 4, 2015
Some people say it is a great deal, while others think it is not.
I've literally never seen anyone say this isn't a good deal.
Get them. It's like $3/ea for smokable pipes.
In my experience, they make a conscious attempt to include variety. I've received two of the little pipes total in the last two bags. I, personally, really enjoy the small pipes.
I've gotten the higher end pipes in all bags, but probably 5/6 out of 10 are going to be the Legend/Washington Classic cob. Just makes sense as they make many times more of those than anything else.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Defiantly worth it, also a good way to discover what type of pipe you like, bent stem, straight, short poker etc..

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Been thinking of getting this myself. If nothing else, you have a few pipes you can give to friends if they want to try smoking.
Seems like a great deal from a good little company.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Good catch, pipesmokingtom
" I am kind of low on funds. I do not have a pipe, or rather, a stem for my briar pipe, which my house cleaner broke. "
OK, help me out with this: Low on funds, yet you have a house cleaner

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here's a thread I started a few years ago, when I first discovered the deal on the Smokeable Seconds. Still smoking them too- a GREAT deal IMO............

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mm-cob-smokable-seconds-my-experience

May 4, 2015
AND
No one hold me to this, but if you prefer bent vs. straight you can include a note with your order. Or if you prefer no ponies - likewise.
I've heard tell that they just may accommodate you.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I just got another bag to have on hand. 8 were Legend/Washington's and two Great Dane's and 2 mini's for 12 in total. I think they can be a fair as they can, some bags better than others but still a great deal. All of the pipes from my previous bag and still going strong.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I have one I got in a box pass 2 years ago and it still smokes great and is in great shape. There were even some hardwood pipes in the bag I grabbed my pipe from. So I would say yes it's a good deal, but can you part with 34 dollars?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Definitely a great deal! I've ordered the grab bag twice. The first time was so I could give all my poker buddies their own pipe for when we would play poker at my house. The second time I split a bag with a friend. I've never had a single issue with any of the pipes I've gotten out of the grab bags. All the pipes I've received look like firsts too.

May 4, 2015
All the pipes I've received look like firsts too
Agreed. I haven't been able to figure out what led to any of them being rejected. Some of the cobs I've ordered individually at full retail have looked "worse" than the 2nds.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
The MM grab bag is a great deal!
I bought one two years back. Mine was 7 Washington/ Legend/ Missouri Prides, 2 of the smaller cobs (I believe Eatons) , and one bent Diplomat.
Based upon what others have posted, you can expect 5-7 Legends/ Washington/ Miisouri Prides, and at least one of the larger cobs.
Some people have reported getting cobs from the Cobbit line, minus the church warden stems.
The deciding factor is how much you like the Legend style cobs, as they are most likely to be the bulk of the bag (being the Legend is their biggest seller).

May 4, 2015
Some people have reported getting cobs from the Cobbit line, minus the church warden stems.
I can vouch. I got the wizard cobbit (biggest) bowl in my last bag.
My last two bags have included that wizard cobbit, the acorn diplomat, the spool, the colonel (diplomat), a hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.