PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
This is my first summer smoking a pipe. I've noticed that as the weather got warmer, which around here means stupid high humidity, I'm getting more dottle at the bottom of the bowl and its much wetter than anything I have gotten before. its happening with all 4 of my pipes and all 4 of my regular rotation blends.
Anyone else get this?

May 4, 2015
Ooo. Seems like a prime opportunity for speculation and pseudoscientific conjecture! I'll be back to you after dinner!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Just teasing about the humidity. When it gets to 25% here, we nearly die. Tomorrow's forecast is for 87F and 8% humidity. Thank goodness.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It means more dottle for those who don't take into account local weather! You many need to use a microwave to get it dry enough before loading.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Time for a deep cleaning...I remove the cakes from all my pipes in humid months...

Jun 27, 2016
I've been thinking about using a hair-dryer and a wire-mesh flour sieve to gently dry bowlfuls of tobacco just prior to packing and smoking. I hate it when I want to set out a bowlful to dry a bit, but I can't because I know that it is too humid for that to happen! I've done the microwave thing before, wasn't happy with the flavor results. But, I generally don't have dottle problems in any case because I put some meer chips in the bottom of every bowl anyway. If it's really humid and the tobacco is damp, I still may get some visible moisture below the chips, but the tobacco is far away from any of that noise. :puffy:

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Living on a high desert means summer temps in the mid 80's to upper 90's with the humidity staying under 15%, so I find that my tobacco burns wonderfully, and as an added bonus, I do not have to set it out to dry for very long.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perfect for drying!
I've just moved to a place where the Summer temps rarely exceed 75º and the humidity is well over 75% a lot of the time, though indoors we seem to average around 60%, a fine target for most of my tobacco blends. And where I moved from recently had some 105º days, with an RH of 5%. (True there was a wildfire nearby that helped drive out moisture).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plenty of heat and humidity here for the experiment, and my "data" shows no increased dottle.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I"m now getting more mixed results. Last night was very humid and I was smoking outside in the park. I was not paying too much attention, but that familiar, last puff before it starts tasting like ash came to me. As I always do, I let the pipe sit for a couple of minutes and then poked at the bowl with my pipe tool. I was quite surprised to see that the entire bowl smoked down to ash. I think maybe it was just the first few bowls from a tightly sealed jar that was packed to the brim.

Status
Not open for further replies.