banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Does Solani 779 still has Syrian Latakia?

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

Does the "Solani - 779: English Luxury Mixture" still has Syrian Latakia on it?. The label it has but I read the manufacturer Kohlhase & Kopp finished the Syrian Latakia. Reason being I like Syrian Latakia and with McClellanf having finished their Syrian and likely McBaren soon (I have a decent cellar on them) I am looking for other ones with Syrian before all is gone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm 99.9% certain I doesn't. I've never seen it included in the list of Syrian tobacco's.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That one and Black and White by Solani both contain, or at least contained Syrian Latakia, not sure how things are at the moment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good thing I left a margin for error

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[That one and Black and White by Solani both contain, or at least contained Syrian Latakia, not sure how things are at the moment.]

I am pretty sure they contained but not that much sure and doubt they still contain which is the critical issue to be found. Anyone knows for sure yes or not?

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The 2017 reviews seem to claim that they contain Syrian still.
    Companies run out of Syrian at a different pace so, it's not that surprising for some blenders to still have some.
    I am positive McConnell ran out of it, though.

Those two blends are not exactly popular, nor are they loaded with Syrian Latakia, they might have diluted Syrian with Cyprian. If you want blends showcasing Syrian, elsewhere might be the place to look.

My opinions might not be what you were looking for, but those two are not big sellers so I would not expect to get many people to give you sure answers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

All Solani blends (and McConnell and Rattrays and Ashton etc. etc.) are made by Kohlhase & Kopp and they no longer have Syrian latakia.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I received an email from K+K just two weeks ago. They claimed that they are not using Syrian in anything they make even if it says so on the label.

This means Ashton's Artisans blend too.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[I received an email from K+K just two weeks ago. They claimed that they are not using Syrian in anything they make even if it says so on the label.]

This looks like the final answer. They should not market anymore as containing Syrian.
    Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have heard that it is a doctored up burley, although the solani rep a couple years ago said it was "new" available syrian.

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if HH Vintage Syrian still has Syrian in it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sable, to my knowledge MacBaren still has Syrian supply but they will be out in the next year or so.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if HH Vintage Syrian still has Syrian in it?

Sable, here is a recent update by dutchpipesmoker:

EDIT 12-03-2017: After a discussion with one of the great names in the pipe smoking world I have decided to remove MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian from the tobacco list. There were rumours before that MacBaren was mixing amounts of Cyprian latakia with the Syrian dark leaf. I already had suspicions some time ago but choose to believe the MacBaren folks and ignore my taste buds. The “great name” with much better taste buds confirmed my old suspicions. There is a difference in taste between the old tins I have and new ones. Further I have deleted all tobaccos claiming to have Syrian latakia from my list. McClelland had the last real Syrian dark leaf and they have run out of it recently. All other companies who say they still have some stock are lying in my opinion or they have some left-over shreds that they put in the blends to stay within the boundaries of laws. Taste-wise you are not going to notice it. Blends simply sell better with the Syrian latakia label on them. So in short, the Syrian dark leaf is totally gone now. Don’t let anyone or anything fool you and oh, tobacco companies, be honest to your customers.

LINK

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I was actually being a smart ass when I wrote that. A few weeks ago I picked up some four and five year old tins of HH Vintage Syrian at my local B&M, so I'm set. But I thank you for the update.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[EDIT 12-03-2017: After a discussion with one of the great names in the pipe smoking world I have decided to remove MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian from the tobacco list. There were rumours before that MacBaren was mixing amounts of Cyprian latakia with the Syrian dark leaf. I already had suspicions some time ago but choose to believe the MacBaren folks and ignore my taste buds. The “great name” with much better taste buds confirmed my old suspicions. There is a difference in taste between the old tins I have and new ones. Further I have deleted all tobaccos claiming to have Syrian latakia from my list. McClelland had the last real Syrian dark leaf and they have run out of it recently. All other companies who say they still have some stock are lying in my opinion or they have some left-over shreds that they put in the blends to stay within the boundaries of laws. Taste-wise you are not going to notice it. Blends simply sell better with the Syrian latakia label on them. So in short, the Syrian dark leaf is totally gone now. Don’t let anyone or anything fool you and oh, tobacco companies, be honest to your customers.]

I think we should know something more specific before making a clear cut statement.
    Who is the great name in the tobacco, someone from McBaren or a taste bud expert?.
    And since when they are supposed to have discontinued the Syrian Latakia? I, and many others I suppose, have tins of different years so even if it is true the great name should also say since when there is no more Syrian Latakia inside.

We know there are many manufacturers who still put the name Syrian in the label while it is known there is no Syrian inside, but McBaren always updated the approximate time they should be running out of Syrian (I think the last estimate is about one more year or less) so I don't see why they should lie at this regard. But it could be definitely true they are not telling the truth as others did. Just we should have some more verified info. Anybody knows anyone inside the company to verify the rumors?

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I was actually being a smart ass when I wrote that. A few weeks ago I picked up some four and five year old tins of HH Vintage Syrian at my local B&M, so I'm set. But I thank you for the update.

You are welcome, sir.

Anybody knows anyone inside the company to verify the rumors?

Check this thread.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gerryp, jaytex969, didimauw, elpfeife, 64alex, canucklehead, craig61a, oldtoby, trudger, yuda