PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I like pipes that sit up on their own, but I'm not that crazy about the Poker/Cherrywood style. I like a pipe that looks at least fairly traditional but that I can sit on a workbench and walk away from.
I've had really good luck with Savinelli pipes, and I occasionally see mention of their "Standing" line, but I can't ever find any in stock, anywhere. Smokingpipes even removed "Standing" from their Savinelli search tags!
Are they available anywhere?

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
You might want to check out their Rossi line. I've got one of their sitting pipes that I bought as an estate, it's one of my most used and best smokers.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
caterypelius,
Yeah! In my pre-edited, much longer post, I mentioned that my two favorite pipes were Rossis. Rossi, though, are Savinellis that don't quite live up to Savinelli standards. One is perfect in every way, save for a visible chunk of briar missing from the side. The other is a perfect smoker and looks great, but has a really hard time passing a cleaner without inordinate wiggling.
My only Savinelli is truly perfect, in every way, and sits up just fine, but I had to call smokingpipes and ask them to walk out to the warehouse and find one that stood up.
I don't want to spend the rest of my life bugging the hell out of the fine employees at smokingpipes. I'm also really picky about size and weight. If I knew ahead of time which pipes would stand up, I could concentrate on finding the right size.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My best Savinelli sitter is my 2015 Christmas gift Oom-Paul, but it sits a bit precariously, though it is a wonderful smoking pipe, which surprised me -- I was afraid of gurgles and difficult cleaning. My best sitters are: my two Peterson bent brandy B11's that sit solid as a rock and have ample bowls; a 40-year-old Tinder Box St. Ives bent pot, probably a Chacom, also absolutely wide and flat for sitting; a La Rocca poker that has improved over the years; and a Jerry Perry hand-carved Mountain Laurel pipe, a poker with the shank flush with the bottom of the bowl, also a rock solid sitter. The Peterson B11's are the only one I'm sure are readily available new.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Wow.
The Savinelli 673KS and the Peterson B11 are both really good lookers. The 673 is a little bit small for my taste, but certainly within my "acceptable" dimensions.
I would be happy with either. It bugs me, though, that no one, in any listing, mentions that they can sit up.
Apparently, I'm one of few that find this an issue.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
<p>I think you might be referring to the 88 line. There're only three shapes available, one of which is a cherrywood, but the others are a billiard and a bent apple (both of which you might like). The pipes in this line come in natural smooth, brown smooth and brown rusticated finishes. Personally, I prefer the cherrywood. Check them out...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you need a sitter, like when you are smoking while working on some project, it really helps to have one. Otherwise you are always looking for an improvised pipe stand, like a pair of pliers where you can prop the pipe between the grips of the handles, or the edge of a plank where you can lean the pipe. Not as good.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I have three Savanelli sitters that are from a low end Sav line, but I don't think they make that line any more.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks, drwatson.
Cup O Joes does list them as "Sitting," but in the pictures they are stamped "Savinelli Standing." That is exactly the series I was looking for. You are the man (as my 7-year-old says)!
I bought the 622 Bent Pot and the 413 Dublin. I didn't really need two pipes today, but they were on sale, so they actually cost less than my Rossi pipes.
My Rossi 8622 Bent Pot would be my absolute favorite pipe, except that it has such a hard time passing a cleaner. If the Savinelli has a smoother airway, I will be a happy man indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.