Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Does Rosetta Stone work?

(24 posts)
  1. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have wanted to learn Spanish for my entire life. I am actually a 2nd gen MexAmerican. Dad spoke Spanish 1st then English, mother speaks a fair amount of Spanish. Back then when we were kids, most Spanish speaking parents didn't teach their children the language due to fear of being discriminated against as they were. So none of my bros and sis or cousins speak but we all know "a little". Fast forward to me having 2 daughters and I was determined that they speak Spanish so I sent them through Spanish Immersion school from K - 12th grade. Mission accomplished in reading, writing and speaking. I've been putting this off for years but now I am determined. Rosetta stone seems to be the best but does anyone have direct experience with this to learn a language? I know the best way is to actually live in a country but thats not feasible in the short term for me. As it relates to pipes, I've done module 1 and smoked the entire time. I cant think of a better way to enjoy the weed but to really use my brain.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

zonomo:

In short: Yes, it works. I've used the Spanish module to brush up on my high-school Spanish, used the French prior to a trip, and am now going through the German in preparation for a vacation this June.

I think it helps to spend a little time with it every day, rather than setting aside a long session on the weekend or something.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

Never used Rosetta Stone because it is just so darned expensive! I have found a good phrase book in your target language (mine is German) and going to websites in the target language helps. For me, I enjoy German heavy metal music (Rammstein, Eisbrecher, etc.) so listening to the lyrics helps.

I have gotten better at it as I go along. The secret is to remember you are not going to be grammatically correct if you try to speak. The key is communication. When I was in Hamburg, an nice young lady and I were talking back in forth in german and english pretty much the entire evening. She was impressed with how much I knew. We now regularly correspond back and forth via email. She was able to understand me even though I used "Der" instead of "Die".

Grammer will come later..

Viel Glück!
    Jason

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Rosetta Stone works very well. We used it in the Defense and State Department.

But it doesn't "teach" a language through osmosis -- as Bob says, it takes focus and dedication, on a daily basis, over an extended period of time. And it's expensive for "off the street" purchase.

So I suppose I'd think, in evaluating whether to commit to learning a language with Rosetta Stone:

"Is this going to end up like that $800 treadmill that became a clothes hanger 3 months after I bought it?"

"Am I really disciplined enough to make this work?"

If either answer is "no" or "not sure," there's some good apps for smart phones that translate languages and work quite well, are easy, no heavy lifting.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great advice everyone. Thankfully I am a pretty disciplined person in general. My plan is to do it every day but not over do it until I am done with the Level I. So far, so good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have it for Mandarin, Russian, French and Spanish, and while I haven't spent much time with it, I can see that it would be very easy to learn a language with it. One of my kids used the French edition for a couple of weeks and can speak it well enough to get by in a pinch. I think if she'd spent a month or two she'd be close to fluent, but getting a teenager to stick with something for a couple of months is an exercise in futility.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of our clientelle doesn't speak English (I'm involved in Immigration Law), and we've found that the Rosetta Stone programs are invaluable for assisting us in our day to day dealings without relying on a translator / translation service. Well they are not cheap, they do work wonderfully; between me and my partner, we've picked up Farsi, Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese, and more recently I've been using it to brush up on my Latin.

Rosetta Stone works very well. We used it in the Defense and State Department.

I can confirm that it is also used by the Canadian Dept. of Foreign Affairs, Dept. of Defence, Border Services (Customs) and Citizenship and Immigration.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

si

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

schmitzbitz wrote:

Farsi, Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese

My hat is off to you, sir. I have no personal experience with those languages, but they strike me as being some of the most difficult for a Westerner to pick up.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

schmitzbitz enim exspectas suffragii in exspectando conclaue?

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lawrence (I likely botched a few noun forms; I hope you don't expect me to write lines!): non possum dicere quod ego sum - forsit quia hoc masculis esset adepto meus suffragium ferendum:

(Not that I think he would do a good job, but simply to hear him say 'I find your lack of faith disturbing.')

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank God in heaven for Google Translate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ube es igne? Nom me vexum. (That's all I got!)

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does Rosetta Stone work?

Nicht für mich.

Works great for the wifey but my learning style is geared wrong for me to get the best out of it. The bad part is that I can pass every level in German and I've never taken the language before, just spent a few weeks at a time in Germany and Austria every few years.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ube es igne? Nom me vexum. (That's all I got!)

Is that Lench or Fratin?

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I learned enough Spanish to get by in Mexico:
    Dos mas cervezas por fa vor. Didn't say I could spell,
    and La quinta por fa vor.
    Cabearro el banyo, rapido.
    Everything I need.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dos mas cervezas por fa vor
    That about covers it....

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

Ya know.. ever since I started down this road to language learning (casually) I find myself writing the German equivalent. Like "und" "mit" "besser" etc. Sometimes I talk to myself in German (I almost typed Deutsch.. lol).

I also speak to the dogs in German just to see the look in their eyes...

"Bist du gutes Hunde?" (yeah.. my spelling and grammer is not right)

They look at me with that.. "When are we eating?" look

Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

donde esta mis pantlones?

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gans gute

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. austinxpipe

austinxpipe

Login to Send PM

I'm curious about it myself. I took Spanish from 5th grade up to 11th, and while in my senior year of High School I was a Teacher's Assist in our school's second level course. I've forgotten lots of hat I have learned simply by living in a rural area with little Spanish speaking peoples. If I were in Holland, MI I bet I would be still fluent...

I like to smoke pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i bet it would come right back Austin....

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have heard many positive reviews on it. Some detectives in my old unit with the Sheriff's Office used it to learn Spanish and did very well.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   metarzan, leonidas, yazamitaz, coalsmoke, adam2, cosmicfolklore, foggymountain, mrjerke, condorlover1, monty55, dmcmtk, ghost, durham270, sablebrush52, brudnod, cobguy, escioe, salmonfisher, jiminks, pitchfork, woodsroad, cortezattic, redheadedsmoker