PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Greetings all.
I've usually been a bit sensitive to Virginia's. While I enjoy Escudo and Orlik Golden slices, I have to take care to prevent tongue bite. (Slow sips, sipe it slow, is the mantra)
I went through an ounce of McClelland 2035 recently and smoked it blind (Didn't read the label or ingredients). It was a very full, robust smoke but smooth and creamy and absolutely bite free. I'm embarrassed to admit that after several bowls, I just assumed it was some kind of burley blend. So much for my educated palate.
However, I was prompted to wonder if perhaps one of the virtues of pressing tobacco and forming cakes, slices, rope and flakes doesn't also reduce the alkalinity that I understand is the cause for tobacco bite? Or at least, in some way, reduce the bite of Virginia's.
It may just be that I'm smoking slower after reading all the warnings on this site for the last year. I'm going to smoke a couple of bowls of Orlik or Escudo to update my experience and see if I still get bit. (It was always a moderate bite. I never laid off from the pipe to cure the bite for more than 24 hours and even then only a couple of times. I guess the satisfaction of a good smoke outweighed the punishment of mild bite.)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
After my excellent results with "cooking" Borkum Riff, which took the bite out of it, I wonder if the tobacco is hot-pressed. That would kind of fill in a few blanks for me.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well, could be....one interesting thing is the other blends you've mentioned have Perique, while 2035 is a straight Virginia. (There are those that would argue the presence of Perique in OGS, some think if there's any at all, its just because they wiped the inside of the tin with a leaf, but I digress).
All Virginias aren't equal either. I think it would be interesting for you to compared two very similar leafs just prepped different....for example SG Best Brown vs. Full Virginia or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.