Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

obidonkenobi

Lurker
Apr 7, 2017
Just watched a YouTube video by Muttonchops Piper Why I can't smoke in the house where he says pipe smoke doesn't yellow walls and the odor doesn't linger, especially if an air cleaner is used. What's your experience with this? Can I smoke my pipe in a room without messing the room up?

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I would assume pipe tobacco would have similar effects to walls and stuff like cigarettes but maybe it is the other chemicals in them that has a worse effect where pipe tobacco would just be nicotine staining but everyone knows what happens when we assume.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Naw, the odor lingers and it will stain. It doesn't smell as bad as cigarettes or cigars, but it isn't Lavender either. Ozone goes a long way towards removing it, I've never found an air filter that works as well.
That said, if you have the right room, who cares? If it's your private study (or in my case, evil lair) and not a main room like the living room, you should be ok. Shut the door, get an air filter or open a window and pipe away.

Reactions: yanoJL

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My wife doesn’t mind the smell of my pipe, while it’s lit or after. As for the yellow walls....I live in my home, I take care of my home maintenance wise, but I live here and I smoke a pipe, if the walls were to yellow up I really wouldn’t care. If we do ever decide to move, the local Home Depot sells paint!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tobacco is tobacco. The smell gets into fabrics, your hair, your skin, whatever. One of the many reasons I quit smoking indoors was that I got tired of the stale smell. Some people love that stale tobacco smell. I'm not one of them. You can somewhat mitigate the effect with an exhaust system, but not completely remove it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Muttonchop strikes again.
facepalm-cat-e1400001522414.jpg

obidonkenobi

Lurker
Apr 7, 2017
Ol' Muttonchops says cigarettes have a lot of chemicals in the tobacco; that plus the burning paper is what causes the most damage. He highlights an electronic air cleaner and shows what it looks like after it has filtered a bunch of air. He doesn't even regularly use the cleaner device, but just vents his "man cave" to prevent any odor and coloration, and it seems to work for him. I'd like to believe it's possible to smoke my pipe inside without "ghosting" an entire room =8^O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
cigarettes have a lot of chemicals in the tobacco; that plus the burning paper is what causes the most damage
Anything burning inside will leave a mark. Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and whatever other form you choose to burn tobacco.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I may be making an obvious statement here:

A smoker can be a poor judge of whether a living space smells like old smoke. If you are accustomed to the smell of pipe smoke you might not notice smells that visitors do.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
+1 seldom I smoke in my den day in and day out. Sometimes I seem to notice a faint smell of tobacco, or no smell at all. When my young godson comes visit, he always says "Godfather your office smells like camp fire again". So yeah ... a non smoker, especially an honest one like my little bugger, will notice the smell in a heartbeat.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Any smoke will affect any room. Claiming that it's the chemicals in cigarettes and not the tobacco that's the culprit is wishful thinking at best. In my opinion, pipe smoke is far more pleasant than cigarette or cigar smoke, virginias being the most pleasant. But a non-smoker might find it unpleasant anyway. The staining stems from tars and other stuff and pipe tobacco has it, just as other forms of tobacco.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have no dilusion that pipe smoking doesn't foul the air or room. I do smoke inside infrequently, so I'm not to concerned. I also think a lit candle has the same affect.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I may be making an obvious statement here:

A smoker can be a poor judge of whether a living space smells like old smoke. If you are accustomed to the smell of pipe smoke you might not notice smells that visitors do.
Needed to be said. Even I can tell when I haven't aired out the room I smoke in.

peanubutter

Lurker
Jan 5, 2013
The weather is a factor if I smoke indoors or not. When smoking indoors the woodstove is open and has a fire going in it. So I cover the pipe or cigar smell with a woodstove smoke. Two negatives make a positive.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Pros for smoking pipe indoor compared to cigarettes and cigars is that the odor lingers way less.

At least this is my perception. I have a non smoker friend that visits my place so I am asking him from time to time to tell me if there is any smokish :) odor/smell in the particular room. Mostly answer is no.

However I do smoke inside like 2-3 times per week and ventilation is to open a window :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only thing that will take the smell away in a room is a commercial grade Ozinator. If you run it for 10-12 hours after you are done smoking, the smell will be gone. Do not sit in the room while the ozinator is working, it is not healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.