Tags:   

Does pipe smoke foul a room?

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by obidonkenobi
  • Latest reply from workman
  1. obidonkenobi

obidonkenobi

Login to Send PM

Just watched a YouTube video by Muttonchops Piper Why I can't smoke in the house where he says pipe smoke doesn't yellow walls and the odor doesn't linger, especially if an air cleaner is used. What's your experience with this? Can I smoke my pipe in a room without messing the room up?

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I would assume pipe tobacco would have similar effects to walls and stuff like cigarettes but maybe it is the other chemicals in them that has a worse effect where pipe tobacco would just be nicotine staining but everyone knows what happens when we assume.

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Naw, the odor lingers and it will stain. It doesn't smell as bad as cigarettes or cigars, but it isn't Lavender either. Ozone goes a long way towards removing it, I've never found an air filter that works as well.

That said, if you have the right room, who cares? If it's your private study (or in my case, evil lair) and not a main room like the living room, you should be ok. Shut the door, get an air filter or open a window and pipe away.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife doesn’t mind the smell of my pipe, while it’s lit or after. As for the yellow walls....I live in my home, I take care of my home maintenance wise, but I live here and I smoke a pipe, if the walls were to yellow up I really wouldn’t care. If we do ever decide to move, the local Home Depot sells paint!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Tobacco is tobacco. The smell gets into fabrics, your hair, your skin, whatever. One of the many reasons I quit smoking indoors was that I got tired of the stale smell. Some people love that stale tobacco smell. I'm not one of them. You can somewhat mitigate the effect with an exhaust system, but not completely remove it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Muttonchop strikes again.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. obidonkenobi

obidonkenobi

Login to Send PM

Ol' Muttonchops says cigarettes have a lot of chemicals in the tobacco; that plus the burning paper is what causes the most damage. He highlights an electronic air cleaner and shows what it looks like after it has filtered a bunch of air. He doesn't even regularly use the cleaner device, but just vents his "man cave" to prevent any odor and coloration, and it seems to work for him. I'd like to believe it's possible to smoke my pipe inside without "ghosting" an entire room =8^O

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

cigarettes have a lot of chemicals in the tobacco; that plus the burning paper is what causes the most damage

Anything burning inside will leave a mark. Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and whatever other form you choose to burn tobacco.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. obidonkenobi

obidonkenobi

Login to Send PM

Is there nothing you can do to ameliorate the effects?

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Air purifiers and rigorous cleaning.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may be making an obvious statement here:
    A smoker can be a poor judge of whether a living space smells like old smoke. If you are accustomed to the smell of pipe smoke you might not notice smells that visitors do.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 seldom I smoke in my den day in and day out. Sometimes I seem to notice a faint smell of tobacco, or no smell at all. When my young godson comes visit, he always says "Godfather your office smells like camp fire again". So yeah ... a non smoker, especially an honest one like my little bugger, will notice the smell in a heartbeat.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 month ago #
  13. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any smoke will affect any room. Claiming that it's the chemicals in cigarettes and not the tobacco that's the culprit is wishful thinking at best. In my opinion, pipe smoke is far more pleasant than cigarette or cigar smoke, virginias being the most pleasant. But a non-smoker might find it unpleasant anyway. The staining stems from tars and other stuff and pipe tobacco has it, just as other forms of tobacco.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  14. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no dilusion that pipe smoking doesn't foul the air or room. I do smoke inside infrequently, so I'm not to concerned. I also think a lit candle has the same affect.

Jason
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use an air purifier and it helps somewhat. If visitors don't like the smell their welcome to stay away.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Incomplete combustion leaves residue. Done.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may be making an obvious statement here:
    A smoker can be a poor judge of whether a living space smells like old smoke. If you are accustomed to the smell of pipe smoke you might not notice smells that visitors do.

Needed to be said. Even I can tell when I haven't aired out the room I smoke in.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  18. peanubutter

peanubutter

Login to Send PM

The weather is a factor if I smoke indoors or not. When smoking indoors the woodstove is open and has a fire going in it. So I cover the pipe or cigar smell with a woodstove smoke. Two negatives make a positive.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Pros for smoking pipe indoor compared to cigarettes and cigars is that the odor lingers way less.
    At least this is my perception. I have a non smoker friend that visits my place so I am asking him from time to time to tell me if there is any smokish odor/smell in the particular room. Mostly answer is no.
    However I do smoke inside like 2-3 times per week and ventilation is to open a window

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing that will take the smell away in a room is a commercial grade Ozinator. If you run it for 10-12 hours after you are done smoking, the smell will be gone. Do not sit in the room while the ozinator is working, it is not healthy.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just dedicate my rooms to particular blends.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ekert, acidpox, ashdigger, ben88, cranseiron, derhammer, alsatmem, mikefu, sasquatch, pappymac, catyrpelius, rdavid, bassbug, olkofri, wannabe, morgansteele, xingpao, redglow