Does Perique Improve, Sustain, or Decline with Age?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Does Perique fade with age as many feel Latakia does? Or does it remain about the same, like burley? Or improve like Virginia? With Va/Per blends, does the Virginia improve while the Perique remains the same or fades? Is there a consensus on this? What do you think? What's your experience?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I wish I could give you a good answer on this mso, but I haven't found any fading of flavors with any of my tobaccos except a few aromatics. They definitely change over time as far as I'm concerned. As far as latakia blends go, I discovered a tin of Dunhill EMP that was about 20 years old that been opened and had dried out, but once rehydrated it was pretty much like the current batch I have.
None the less an interesting question. Hope someone will come up with a definitive answer of some sort.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've experienced the fading of Lat flavor with a tin of good GLP Westminster, pretty peppy after I'd aged it a while, but the Lat retreated fast. Still tasty but extremely mild and very little Lat. My own guess on Perique is that it diminishes somewhat but stays around as a condiment, detectable but with less zest, but I'm guessing. I thought some of our Va/Per experts would have a ready answer on this one. We'll see.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
This is an excellent question. I have smoked 10 year old St James Woods and Fillmore and not noticed a lack of spice. I tend to think it holds.
We need Russ or Greg to answer this.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I'm doing a couple of Aged vs Fresh comparisons. The first one was Fribourg&Treyer CVP. The next one is Escudo. I'll let you know what I come up with. MSO, I may even send you a couple slices so you can be part of the study. Interestingly enough, myself and 2 others thought the fresh CVP was better thanthe aged, and I have since traded away all my time of CVP! It also had to do with me noticing the topping, which I found to be a bit much for my liking now that my tastes have refined a bit over time.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
From an interview with Pease:
Q: Which of your blends are best suited for aging?
A: From the very beginning, I have always designed my blends with aging in mind. Barbary Coast, being so heavily based on burley, is probably the one blend that will benefit least from long cellaring, though the flavors WILL continue to meld over several years, and there's enough virginia and perique present to offer some significant change. The cigar leaf in Robusto may peak after 5-7 years, but the Virginias and oriental leaf will continue to develop increased complexity. The heavier latakia mixtures will evolve a certain softness after five to seven years, but will continue to become more complex, so whether or not you'll enjoy them old is really a matter of taste. Those that are less dependent on the smoky stuff will go much longer, continuing to develop for many, many years. All the VA based blends, especially those with perique in them, will improve for 10, 20, 30, 40 years or even longer, though after a while, they'll slow down. Ask me again at the turn of the next century…

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I smoked VaPer Three Nuns from the 1990s late last year and the effects of the perique had not changed. Also last year, I smoked some VaPer Three Nuns from the 1980s, and nothing had changed regarding the perique, but the Virginia was a little mellower. Not long ago, I had a few bowls of 2002 Solani 633, and if anything, it was a little spicier than it was when I was smoking that vintage fresh. The Virginia also had a little less grassiness. To some extent, I think it depends on how the perique was processed. Also, a change may seem more noticeable or less so, depending on what the other components are, and how they age.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
My observation on long-aged VaPers is that I notice the spice a bit more with age. Now, this could be because the Virginias become deeper and a bit sweeter over time, so the contrast is greater. I have one jar of the old Percy Martin Perique that I've used a bit of, and another that's unopened. I'll have to check them out side-by-side to see if I notice a difference.
Russ

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
+1 Russ and chasingembers. I smoke VaPers almost exclusively, including aged tobacco when I can. The fruits in perique definitely seem to move towards spice with age, which is great when it's balanced by an increase in the sweetness of the virginia. Generally though, my very sweet tooth means that I prefer sweet virginia and plummy perique!
Andy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There's also the question whether or not Acadian perique would age differently than St. James perique.

Status
Not open for further replies.