Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Does Anyone Here Wash Their Pipe Cleaners For Re-Use?

(97 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by tufftony
  • Latest reply from ashdigger
  1. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The world isn't flat? Shit, I'm going to sell my stock in pipe cleaners.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

There are some who believe pipe cleaners are pseudoscience.

I haven't seen a single peer-reviewed study demonstrating that pipe cleaners actually clean pipes!

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

And there are some people who spout bulshit just for the sake of spouting bulshit.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...which is what all modern economies are - must eventually run into a brick wall since, although our
    economists like to pretend resources on this planet are infinite, they aren't.

Your economists in Japan?

I've not read a single word until now suggesting that there is any educated person, economist or not, who thinks the resources on this planet are unlimited.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

There are some who believe pipe cleaners are pseudoscience.

I haven't seen a single peer-reviewed study demonstrating that pipe cleaners actually clean pipes!

'Peer-reviewed studies' have often been exposed as paid-for crapola.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in them if I were you.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Wow, first I was ruining the planet with my straws, now my pipe cleaners too? Good thing know one knows about my big truck that only get 12 mpg. With all that is going on around the world, I don't think using up a few pipe cleaners is a make or break issue. Let's get a grip on reality folks.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

I've not read a single word until now suggesting that there is any educated person, economist or not, who thinks the resources on this planet are unlimited.

Maybe not, but societies, corporations, and individuals behave as if they are.
    Look at all the smokers on this thread who think it's silly to re-use something
    that is perfectly re-usable.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

Wow, first I was ruining the planet with my straws, now my pipe cleaners too? Good thing know one knows about my big truck that only get 12 mpg. With all that is going on around the world, I don't think using up a few pipe cleaners is a make or break issue. Let's get a grip on reality folks.

The reality is that an economy based on waste and populated by
    wasteful individuals is sooner or later going to crash.

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I have spent far too long in some shitholes around this ball of dirt we all call home. Trust me when I tell you pipe cleaners are not going to cause the downfall of civilization. Recycle them, reuse them if you like. It's your choice but don't get all self righteous about it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

I'm not. I'm just pointing out that thinking it silly to re-use
    something that is re-usable is just one tiny facet of the truly
    huge problem of WASTE, a problem that is going to come
    back and bite us badly at some point.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

China's Waste Ban Is Causing A Trash Crisis In The U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK20t11He14

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

Why China Doesn’t Want Your Trash Anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNZtI7hbvI

There are some very interesting facts in this video
    about how much trash the US generates.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Whether it’s coal, oil or rhinoceros horn, the products of our biosphere are the most limited of all and are most deserving of sensible stewardship.

Good luck on that!

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

It all comes down to inputs versus returns IMO. - I do like the idea of saving money and do activities that accomplishment that. No matter how much money we have, we're all limited in the number of hours available to us, however. I'd rather spend my time doing something that'll save hundreds or thousands of dollars rather than pennies. But that's a personal choice.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

I really tend to save money and I hate to waste anything. Said that and leaving aside I doubt there is any saving and probably more cost in trying to save the cleaners (factoring the cost of gas/electric to boil the water and your personal time involved), I would be concerned it would not be a good idea as I see the risk of these reconditioned cleaners becoming stiffer and losing some of the soft cleaning stuff and potentially prone to damage the pipe.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

The point really isn’t really dollars, cents, or even responsible recycling.

I may have remarried eventually, but I am still a one time widower who lost the truest love he could ever hope for and none of the above mentioned “things” can replace time that you can spend with the people you care for.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

See, chicken feathers for pipe cleaners are the answer. You don't throw them out, you compost them. No need to wash and no WASTE.

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Actually, I think that my suggestion of dropping them in the wash while your wife is doing her lingerie is the best. Not only do you get clean pipe cleaners while saving water and benefiting from the gentle cycle, but it could be a very effective way of achieving some meaningful face time with your significant other!

Of course, she might use them to clean the wax out of your ears, just to make sure you can hear her when she lets you know her opinion of the practice...

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why bother to go through all that aggravation? I have better things to do with my time.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 months ago #
  20. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ekert & 3rdguy, y'all are jes' a mess, you know that, right?

Woods, same applies to you; hand-rolled coat hanger wire, indeed.... [snort]

Personally, I'm happy to own knowledge of "field expedients" (I keep them clipped to the same keyring as my P-38.), but in most cases I have no need to use them. As far as peer-reviewed goes, they aren't really *often* exposed as payola/crapola/shinola. The vast majority are legit-legit since they have to pass through several independent reviewers plus IRBs & editorial boards. One occasionally does slip in, & the high visibility of it is what makes people knee-jerk & make sweepy-swoopy generalizations due to perceived outrage.

Me, I'll stick to not handufacturing & just use 'em the way they're meant. I *can* reduce/re-use/recycle if I need to, & that's good enough for me.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess if you saved up a whole washing machine load full, it could be beneficial... somewhat. But hell, if I started keeping my pipecleaners, my kids wouldn't have a clue as to how to find me when I get lost in the woods. They usually just follow them like breadcrumbs.

I always like to leave them in public ashtrays and on sidewalks that have lots of cigarette butts. I wanna feel like pipes are represented in the garbagization of the world.

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife launders some of her clothes in the washing machine in zippered pillow cases to protect delicate fabrics or stitching. I wonder if zipper pillow cases would be a good way to launder pipe cleaners, to keep the little wire stalks out of the washing machine mechanics. The zipper would have to be absolutely tight and secure, and the machine would be set on some short cycle. I'm not recommending it, just mentioning the possibility. A bag of pipe cleaners is much less expensive than washing machine repair.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

If you wanted to keep it low profile (and save your earwax...), you substitute them for the underwires in her brassieres.

Just make sure to swap them back (ALL of them!) before she’s ready to wear them again!

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

I do use earwax to polish my pipes, who would pay $10 for Decatur pipe shield when I can build a natural patina for free?

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sort of like reducing your carbon foot print by reusing your socks by turning them inside out for that extra days wear! When it comes to underwear you just have to use the 'throw against the wall' test. If it sticks to the wall you know you are senile and living in a geriatric ward using eye wax to improve the patina on your meerschaum pipe!

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

Slip your used pipe cleaners in with your wife's lingerie and see how she like her undies smelling like a stinky pipe. Sure to promote domestic bliss. Pardon me, but this thread is getting a mite ridiculous.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

getting a mite ridiculous.

This thread has been ridiculous since post #1.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kimbiker, taildraggin