Does Current Produced Schürch Onix 128 Still has Sirian Latakia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
New Accessories
18 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
It looks like the Schürch Onix 128 was blended with Sirian latakia but it is unclear if it is still the case today. Given McClelland run out of Sirian before closing business and McBaren also run out of Sirian in 2017 I doubt there is any Sirian left for blends produced today but I would like to hear if anyone has a definite answer.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I have heard that a Syrian clone has been flavored to taste very similar
That sounds pretty interesting. This is already being done, or in the works? Any further info would be neat to hear.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Its been used for a few years now....
There was actually a company calling this "new syrian" a couple years back. I will not mention which company, but they are still in business...

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Sometimes it is better to be conservative. Most topics in the pipe world are full of rumors... so what's another one?
I've been around long enough to know how people are looked at when they name drop. I'm not one of those people.
You'd probably be interested to know that there is also currently in business, a pipe factory, that has similar conditions to sweat shops for their workers. I'll leave that one there too.
Because, why not fan the flames a little.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Sometimes it is better to be conservative.

I tend to agree with you....I do post when drops of Germain's and Samuel Gawith hit's the Web...But I also hold a few Blends

close to me to slow down the "Stampede" when stuff like this is named.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
You can always drop a mail to the blending company and ask them - talking about the ONYX.

Or you can mail Daniel from Synjeco in Swiss and ask the same (as he is one of the major distribution points for Hans Schurch tobaccos).
I personally doubt this is really the unicorn latakia, but who knows. There were enough speculations with it, its origin, the quality of the leaf someone offering as original unicorn latakia.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Daniel said the owner of Schurch claims it is Syrian Latakia. The way he worded leads me to believe Daniel is skeptical but that also could simply be the language translation.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/syrian-latakia/]
I am aware of this which is very informative overall about Syrian Latakia. But it says very little about the Schürch Onix other than something very inconclusive in the discussion.

My feeling is that very likely as of now there is no more any Syrian Latakia currently produced unless there is clear evidence of the contrary. The only tiny possibility could be some small blenders like this one but again probably unlikely.

I have a good amount of cellared McBaren and particularly of McClelland Syrian blends so I will be good for a long time anyway.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
With the civil war going on there from years, will be really surprising if anyone there is producing any Latakia.

But it may be similar to the story of the Cyprian - arguably produced in Turkey and sold as Cyprian :)

Still for the benefit of the doubt - maybe some small blender as Schurch stocked well in the past and still able to offer blends with Syrian leaf.

I got over 2 lb of Onyx jarred, maybe time to crack one :)

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I certainly don't know the answer, but Onyx is tasty stuff.]
At least does it taste like Syrian Latakia?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I couldn't say if the Latakia is Syrian or not. While I've had several Syrian Latakia blends, most have enough other components that it's hard for me to learn how to distinguish it's particular flavor. I have sometimes found Syrian Latakia to taste almost metallic in blends like Drucquer Royal Ransom and Balkan Sobranie 759, but I don't taste that in 1970s Dunhill blends nor Mac Baren Vintage Syrian.
I did smell Onyx and a jar of McClelland Cyprian Latakia from 2017 side-by-side and I would say the character was similar, so if someone held a gun to my head and made me guess, I'd say the Latakia in Onyx is now Cyprian, but that's barely more than speculation. One thing that I know for certain is that Schürch Onyx is a very fine and tasty blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.