Does Anything Really Smoke Better Than A Cob?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I started with cobs. Like many newbies, I burned myself repeatedly, but eventually learned how to smoke without discomfort. Once I knew what I was doing, I decided it was time to buy a "real pipe."
I bought a $20 dollar no-name on Amazon, that smoked like crap. I was gifted a $30 dollar Dr. Grabow, that smoked well, after a break-in period. I bought a $40 dollar "Breyure St. Claude Extra" on sale at P&C, that smokes well. I next bought (again on sale) a $60 dollar Stanwell and a $100 dollar Big Ben, on sale together for $100. The Stanwell smokes well, and had a perfect bowl size. The Big Ben smokes... OK. It'll burn me bad if I don't pay attention, but I get some good smokes from it. I most recently bought a $120 dollar Meerschaum that smokes pretty good.
Here's a correlation I've noticed, though. The tighter draw pipes smoke most poorly, the looser draws smoke better, and the most open draws smoke best. But...
My BEST smoking briars, the Grabow and the Stanwell, don't really smoke as well as my cobs. I'm currently smoking BlackHouse in a cheap little MM Legend, clenching it as I type, and having a great, tasty smoke!
My gosh, this has been a long time getting to any kind of point! Here's the point: Esthetics aside, and I'm not ruling out the value of esthetics, is there any pipe out there that will actually give me a better smoke than a cheap cob?

Reactions: taazen

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
LOL ... IMHO the answer is clear. :puffy:
open-can-worms-8565239.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Man what a sticky wicket! As with anything else in this hobby, "better" can be a pretty subjective concept. I personally think cobs smoke great as a general rule; drier, cooler, nice open draw, etc. But So far, I haven't found an English blend that I like the taste of in a cob. I know some people who think the taste of English in a cob is absolutely divine. Is it a function of "how well the pipe smokes"? Maybe, because the flavors being imparted are unique to a corncob pipe. Not to mention, some smokers can't stand a draw as open as a standard MM. Who is right? The guy who's having an absolute ball smoking his pipe, that's who! I love cobs, so I don't think it gets much better than a cob with a cob-friendly blend. But I don't love 'em to the complete exclusion of my briars, either.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Cobs are awesome! They are great pretty much from the first bowl.
Some of the briars really take a long time to shine. 20+ bowls. Some, I guess do sooner and some take longer and some never get there. Cobs always seem good, but briars run a bigger span. My best briars are great. Better than cob? I don't know. As good as? I don't know.
Briars are definitely different than cobs. How's that for a PC answer?

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
See, here's my problem.
While I haven't bought an expensive pipe yet, I do seem to be climbing up the price scale. So far, the best I've gotten from briar and meerschaum, is ALMOST as good as my various cobs.
I like the look of briar. I absolutely love the look of meerschaum. But, so far, they just haven't satisfied in any way except looks.
Have I just had bad luck? Would a different briar or meer satisfy? More expensive?
I don't mind paying for quality, and if I KNEW that a Dunhill or a custom-made would satisfy, I'd by one, but if I bought one, just to find out it didn't smoke any better than my $4.49 legend or my $10 dollar Country Gentleman, I'd be kind of mad!
And maybe it's draw more than material. I just like a really open draw. It seems I can better "feel" what the tobacco is doing. I could stick with only open-draw pipes, but it seems very few sellers mention that particular feature.
Anyway, sorry for opening up this particular can or worms, and thanks for all your input!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think that eventually you'll find a briar, or meer that you will worship. It doesn't have to be a new one, or and expensive one.

It will pack and smoke effortlessly, be easy as heck to clean, and taste great with pretty much any blend you smoke.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
While I haven't bought an expensive pipe yet, I do seem to be climbing up the price scale. So far, the best I've gotten from briar and meerschaum, is ALMOST as good as my various cobs.
It's important to remember that pipe smoking and pipe collecting are two different things. There's really no reason for a non-collector to spend many hundreds of dollars on a pipe thinking they are going to get a superior smoke. One can spend a third of that price (or less) on a broken-in estate (clean, from a reputale dealer) and get a better smoke. In other words, price scale is an unreliable indicator of the smoking experience.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm in the boat that cobs smoke good, but not nearly as good as $200+ artisan or factory pipe. If you find an upstart artisan you can find one that blows a cob out of the water for about $100-$150.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've been smoking cobs for many years. They are very utilitarian. I have had cobs which smoked well and cobs which smoked indifferently. I've had cobs that needed a reaming before becoming acceptable. For what they are, I think of them as disposables, cobs are hard to beat. Two of my five meerschaums and one of my Peterson pipes smoke better than any pipe I've owned. Also, I can only speak to the pipes I've owned over the years.
And in your most recent post you hit the nail squarely on the top of it's pristine little head! You will never know for sure until you have tried pipes of many descriptions, makes, shapes and costs. You'll get a lot of anecdotal observations from your question but, only you can really answer that question and you're going to have to go through a lot of cash and pipes to find an acceptable answer to your question.
No apology needed, this thread will devolve into a fun read. You've solicited opinions and on this forum we have 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.